skydiverkeith

Mirage Frustrations

Can anyone tell me what the hell happened to Mirage's DRX (Direct Reserve Xtraction) system that should have been out by now and rivaling the Skyhook? Also, if they couldn't get the damn thing to work, why can't you put a Skyhook in a Mirage?

Oops. I just found the existing thread here: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/Any_word_when_mirage_drx_is_available_P3274835-2

Any new news?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Mirage people gave me the answer to your question at Skydive Expo (March 2010 at DeLand). Their DRX needs a new metal piece of hardware to be designed and manufactured specially for them. They are waiting for it to be made and tested.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi keith,

I saw one of their rigs with the latest version a couple of weeks ago. I did not have a previous version to make any comparisons with.

Except for one change that I noticed, it did appear to be about what I saw a year or so ago.

It will be interesting to see if they actually do release it. And I do hope that they do; the SkyHook needs some competition.

JerryBaumchen

As I mentioned it already in this forum, at Skydive Expo in March 2010, Mirage people told me they had to design a new piece of hardware designed especially for the DRX. That piece of metal is being manufactured. I guess now they have to test it and get a TSO for it. A long process maybe.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I know this has been a hot topic for quite some time from everyone on the forums and I have refrained from saying anything as it just blows up in our faces but I will give a bit of insight for you guys. Well at least as much as I can.

The DRX is and has been ready for quite some time. It's not an issue of trying to make it work or getting it just right. It has been just right for quite some time.

There are many factors behind the scenes that have delayed us from putting it out including waiting on the super slow FAA to give final approval (which we don't actually need and other manufacturers didn't actually have before release), waiting on some crucial hardware tooling and pieces to be made (often times it is a 20 week wait for tooling and a 12-14 week wait for parts), and several other factors to include the fact that we are running at max capacity even before offering a product that will surely put us at delivery times that are far too unaccapetable to us.

It WILL come out, i promise. And when it does, all rigs in the field will be able to retrofit with the DRX. It is the best system on the market and we have in my opinion solved all the shortcomings of the other systems on the market. As soon as all these pieces fall into place we will release it.

I'm hoping it's very soon but many of the final puzzle pieces are out of my control so please bare with us. We know you want it, we want it too. We're working as hard as we can to get it out for you guys.

Thats all the super secret stuff I can clue you in on at the moment.
Ward