fatmarl

Jumping with a deep vein thrombosis

I had a venogram yesterday, it showed that I have a clot in the popliteal vein in my leg. It also indicated a clot in the iliac vein in my groin. I am currently having daily Fragmin injections and have just started to take Warfarin tablets. I asked the doctor if it was OK for me to jump and he said yes, as long as I tried not to hurt myself (as if I would try). Does anybody else have experience of jumping with a DVT?

My girlfriend and I are bickering about whether or not the pressure changes you would feel in the plane and freefall could cause you to throw a clot, but here's one thing we both agree on:

HELL NO, you definitely should not jump while taking an anticoagulant. With two blood thinners in your system there is no way you would survive a severe skydiving accident like a broken limb or puncture wound. It's not a question of whether or not the doctors would get the bleeding stopped; you'd be dead before the EMTs even got to you.

I had a buddy who, at the WFFC, went to the First Aid tent to have them look at what he thought was an infected tick bite. The end result was that it was actually a clot and he was in the hospital at Quincy for a few days and left on blood thinners. The folks at Quincy knew skydivers and the fact that even if we're told not to jump that we usually will. But he was told that even a small injury could cost him his life as long as he was on the thinners. It killed him to do it, but he sat on the ground, and ended up leaving early.

Play it safe, dude. Wait until the thinners are out of your system, and then jump your ass off.

Elvisio "my .02" Rodriguez

I have to agree here!!! You could bleed internally and not even know it, if you had a hard landing. Even though I'm not a skydiver, I am familiar with the drug, warfarin. I also would urge you not to jump while on this medication.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Did the doctor you are seeing say it was okay, or did he tell you you can jump, but there is a possibility of.....? I find it a bit odd that he gave you the go ahead to jump.
Anticoagulants delay or prevents blood coagulation (thins). Get another physicians opinion on it and I bet that one will say not to jump.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I don't think it'd be a good idea to jump with a DVT because I can see that it might increase the risk of embolization, but I think it's a much worse idea to jump while your're taking Coumadin because of the reasons already mentioned. I really can't understand why your doctor would tell you it's okay....

Lindsey

Edited to add: What do you/your doctor think led to this DVT? Have you had one before?
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Sorry to hear that buddy....[:/]

You still gotta come to my birthday party at BKs on 10th july!!! See ya soon!

Beth x
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

If that thing dislodges and goes into your lungs or brain, bad things will most likely happen. Ask your doc about something called a Greenfield Filter. It's basically a little mesh screen that's inserted into a vein to catch any dislodged blood clots. I'd have to say, no, don't jump until it's resolved.