bertusgeert

HIPPIES

I have to wonder how hippies in the Phish days resemble the hippies who followed the Dead when Phish was spelled fish....lol. That just struck me kind of funny. I was never a hippie myself though I went through a trendy hippie phase in the 80's, and followed the Dead around for a bit. But I always returned to the comfort of my air conditioned home.

In high school, people used to refer to me as The Queen of the Hippies. My best friend, Bryan, was The King of the Hippies. We used to follow Dead and Phish tour and dance around to drum circles. That's all changed now. But it's still part of who I am deep down inside. :P

I am Garcia Rodriguez. I am here to drink your tequilla!!! B|

We used to follow Dead

I remember seeing the dead at the Fillmore West in Frisco, along with Strawberry Alarmclock and Moby Grape when they were local garage bands in 1964-65-66....does this count toward making me a hippie?

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I'm a skydiver....:)

I like that answer.. and i like what someone said about there being a little hippy in all of us.. i deffinately see a lot "hippy qualities" in most skydivers. - and there's nothing wrong with that!! a lot of the hippy stuff is cool!

like the others said, i take a shower everyday, have a decent job to pay for skydiving, ect...
maybe the term here is corporate hippy??
the way i see it, i just work so i have enough $$ to enjoy life.

and theres nothing wrong with grateful dead or phish! :)

-Seth :)

Hippie is a word coined by the media in 1967. They're just one of the generational incarnations of the bohemian life. A lot of kids who have shaved heads, dreadlocks, or combination thereof would bristle at being called hippies nowadays, but they're continuing in the boho tradition. Lord Byron and Mary Shelley were free loving, dope smoking "hippies" of their day, as were the entire crowd of Pre-Raphaelite painters and their model/girlfriends.

But yeah, I will admit to having been an alleged hippie thirty years ago, in college, and spent some time starving in a few actual communes. Aside from the hunger, the sheer boredom got to me and I was a little too fragile to tolerate much acid. I've still got a profound weakness for Grateful Dead music. Funny thing is though, when I really get into skydiving, I can't tolerate being around a bunch of stoned out, do nothing fuckin' hippies. They're unreliable and soooo self centered. Skydivers know how to trust and rely on each other. We have to be worth our word to each other. Hippies just don't get that. and they never will.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I think many people have many different ideas of what hippies are. I like their carefree lifestyle, nothing to worry about. So many people go to work, come home, worry themselves to death all the time, too many things to take care of in this rushed life. Hippies "skip the system" in one of my friend's words. (who is trying HARD to be a hippie:D).

Therefore, the term "corporate hippy" is contradicting IMO.

As for the "betterment of today's society", why do we need to? Is life getting better over the millenia? Not much.

I think you need to do whatever makes yourself happy, as long as you don't harm others, you're OK with me.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

yes...once a hippie always a hippie...I guess. No,,Once a hippie,,now a skydiver. Skydiving is much more fun. As a hippie I only dreamed of reaching the sky, as a sjyduiver I found the sky.

Thank you EvelynB|!! On this tread; some folk got carried away.....:P:P but then again, certainly is good for all to voice themselves. :) good or bad. :o your post is comforting and bring's on good vibes;) From a local here in Moreno Valley.:DB|B| Blue skies to U and all your tribe. elpeludoB|
aka.... mikee T.

I think many people have many different ideas of what hippies are. I like their carefree lifestyle, nothing to worry about. So many people go to work, come home, worry themselves to death all the time, too many things to take care of in this rushed life. Hippies "skip the system" in one of my friend's words. (who is trying HARD to be a hippie:D).

Therefore, the term "corporate hippy" is contradicting IMO.

As for the "betterment of today's society", why do we need to? Is life getting better over the millenia? Not much.

I think you need to do whatever makes yourself happy, as long as you don't harm others, you're OK with me.

I know what you're saying.. the 'carefree lifesyle' is definately cool.. that's also where i see the skydiving lifestyle blending in...

I don't mean corporate hippy the way you're thinking... you can't "skip the system" especially if you want to have $$ to afford to jump... so, you work around the system.. in the corporations, but nof OF the corporations.. you play the game to get by, but you don't buy into the whole rat race mentality.

like i said, i think the skydiving culture has some hippy elements, but it's way cooler.

-Seth :)

BOB RIVERS - O COME ALL YE GRATEFUL DEADHEADS

O come, all ye Grateful,
Deadheads to the concert.
O come, Grateful Deadheads,
And camp in the street.
Bring rolling papers,
Don't forget your sleeping bags.
O come get us some floor seats,
We've followed them for four weeks,
O come get us some floor seats,
To see the lord.