Evelyn

I hate getting lost!

I REALLY hate getting lost when driving, but being one of those unfortunate people who was born with no "sense of dirrection" gene I have spent many hours trying to find my way to or from new places. Today I was going some place I'd been a few times before but was taking a different route because was going from a different location. Fortunately I have discovered Map Quest so was okay getting there. Was even feeling really proud of myself for not getting lost. Knew my way home but was going straight to the gym which is in the same area I started from so figured I'd just go back the way I came. WRONG. I somehow missed the onramp and drove for a while before realizing I was lost. Then did what I always do when I'm lost, called my husband. He was in the middle of a golf tournament, but since we've been through this before he knew he had to help me find my way home. He said "so where are you?" I said "I don't know, that's why I'm lost". He said "well I have to know where you are now to help you get home". So I tell him what street I'm on and he says "what direction are you going?" I say "I don't know", He says "are the mountains in front of you or behind you" I tell him "I don't know where the f@#$ing mountains are, but wait, I can see the Hollywood sign." He says "the Hollywood sign is on the mountains". I say "yeah, okay so what do I do now".
Etc., etc. After much frustration, tears and vowing never to venture outside of a mile from my house again I finally find my way home. It's NOT fair! Why do some people have a great sense of direction while others totally suck?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Try driving to the Station Backpackers in Koln, Germany, with a map that shows the road splits in two and it's on the right...but when you get to the fork you are happy to find it splits in THREE and you're in wrong lane and take a detour back over bridge not once but 3 times. Maps and signs mean shit!!!
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

"typical woman"

But at least when she gets lost she calls her husband for directions. Unlike some men who would never admit to being lost let alone ask for directions.

B|
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I have the exact same problem, my friends laugh at me all the time about it. I just have no sense of direction, I end up so far off where I needed to be.

Oddly enough i'm a superb map reader though, I can give directions reading a map no worries but I can't even direct someone the correct way to get from the main road to my house off the top of my head. [:/] And in the dark is even worse! haha I can be in the car going somewhere I travel every day but if it's dark it's like a whole new world and I get lost.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

This is a case for the power of GPS -

There is a great variety of GPS's that will give you turn by turn directions no matter where you go. And they are portable so that you can take them from car to car, hiking, etc.

I have a good sense of direction, but have often arrived at cities I have never been to before, and have to rent a car, and then find specific places, address, buildings, etc. The GPS gets you there every single time!

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

This is a case for the power of GPS -

There is a great variety of GPS's that will give you turn by turn directions no matter where you go. And they are portable so that you can take them from car to car, hiking, etc.

I have a good sense of direction, but have often arrived at cities I have never been to before, and have to rent a car, and then find specific places, address, buildings, etc. The GPS gets you there every single time!

Oooh no. Don't get me started on GPS systems. We had one years ago when they first came out and it got me more lost than usual. It would tell me to get off at a certain offramp and then change it's mind and tell me to get off at the next one after I'd already exited. Maybe they've improved it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I feel your pain. FOr some reason I can navigate flawlessly through far off countries with signs in languages I have no idea how to read much less understand. Yet, when presents with a North Carolina highway construction area and the Department of Transportations complete ineptitude for marking routes and detours, I end up getting a great tour of counties and towns I never knew existed.... Just keep the faith, a sense of humor and never let the tank get inder half full!:P
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range