hackish

Chopping a 2 out downplane?

Why would landing a downplane be better than chopping a downplane at 50, 100, 200 feet?

I'm very sorry if I was unclear. Landing a downplane would only be preferable to landing in freefall. Landing a downplane could very likely be fatal.

What I meant was that if you have a two-out, and delay your actions in turning either a side-by-side or a front-back configuration into a downplane, you may use up a lot of altitude. The rapid onset of high vertical speed can take one by surprise. Once you split the canopies into a downplane, the next step MUST be cutting away the main. If you freeze up and don't cutaway, you're toast. If the entire procedure is not completed in time, it may be better to simply keep the two canopies as stable as possible until reaching the ground.

If you cut away from a two-out downplane at:

50 ft. - Probably fatal. Equivilant to a very low hook turn.:(

100 ft. - Probably survivable. High prob. of injury due to not having time to unstow brakes, turn, or set up landing.B|

200 ft. - Make sure you're in front of the crowd, because it will look cooler than shit and you'll never want to do it again.B|

200 ft. - Make sure you're in front of the crowd, because it will look cooler than shit and you'll never want to do it again.B|

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMEEEE!!

:ph34r::D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Oh cool, for a second I thought I was being schooled by a CRWdog and that there was some flaw in what I teach all my students. I teach them not to chop below 1000 feet, with a downplane being the one exception that proves the rule. I teach them to fly biplanes & side-by-sides, the latter very carefully while watching for the development of a downplane.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I saw the SkyHawks break one about that low, all I could think was "I'm NEVER doing that shit!"

They break a two-person downplane pretty low. I saw them break a downplane at only about 100 feet and land pretty comfortably. I'm talking about CRW downplanes with two people and two mains, not two-out downplanes, though. Tamer CRW canopies, rather than two mis-matched higher-performance canopies, mind you...