flyboy6554

Harvey Buskirk

Harvey Buskirk died while skydiving this weekend in Belen, New Mexico. He apparently died of natural causes during the jump....he was 68 years old.
I jumped with Harv back with the Quantico Skydivers in 1976 and 1977. He was a great guy and a great skydiver from the old school. He was still active as an instructor at the time of his death.
We've lost one of the legends in our sport.
Best wishes, Harv.

I met Harvey when his gang was skydiving at Coronado Airport in Albuquerque back in 2000. What a character! He taught a HUGE group of static line students one weekend with the utmost professionalism and efficiency, with lots of humor thrown in.

It's sad that he's gone, but what a blessing that he passed doing what he loved.

Fly free, amigo.
Arrive Safely

John

Harvey was a REAL character, well liked and respected. He always had time for everyone and loved training students; a real legend in New Mexico. I met him in 1987 and remained his friend. We New Mexicans will really miss him. Time will tell what exactly happened to him, but personally I feel happy that he maybe did not suffer much. Hopefully, it was indeed a medical condition which hit him quickly. As he would tell us.."it don't mean a thing if you don't pull that string!"

Harvey definitely was from the old school...I think his D-license number was 412.

He stopped logging long ago but had several thousand jumps. He was still an active instructor, rigger, and jumper at our DZ.

Harvey gave many years to the sport and obviously loved it. I take comfort in knowing he died in the air, working a student, doing what he loved.

Blue Skies, Harv

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Harvey was the first person to ever sign my logbook. The day I took my first jump course I was the only first jump static line student there and got to train for my first jump under Harvey one on one. Beyond the training, I truly appreciated the conversations we had while on break and the kind words and encouragement I got from Harvey. Everyone says he loved what he did and he loved teaching students, and I could certainly see that. I spoke to him again the second weekend when I made my second jump and was again met with a smile and encouragement.

Harvey was serious and professional during ground school, but outside of that he was definitely quite the character. My first impression of Harvey was when I got to the dz and I was told my instructor wasn't there yet but to look for Santa Claus to come in the door because that's who he looked like. Funny enough when he came in he was wearing red and certainly looked the part.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Harvey's family, sky family, and friends. My next jump is in honor of you Harvey, and I'll make many more thanks to you giving me my start during the first jump course.
~skysprite