BASE813

Ankles and Legs - experiences

HI cloud

Don't give me more credit than I deserve its a 24" schlong not 24' if it was that long I's have to wrap it around my waist at least 3times which would make me look fatter than I am.:(

I think some Babes like a guy with a limp, keep the cane and wear the shorts to you can board the plane early. Airport security? Have you had to go to a court house yet or any Fed, state city bldgs. Wearing shorts night expediate things but then again no telling whats under that scar.

R.I.P.

Ooops! Yeah 24' might wee bit on the freak show side - as if 24'' isn't?????

No federal buildings or court houses yet - but I do travel a lot for work and the NTSB peeps really get a kick out of watching that gadget blinking and beeping at my shin - B|

.........one bad experience... i was walking today on crutches on a wet pavement (sidewalk) and my supporting crutch went from under me! - fuck! it hurts (i hope nothing has been damaged) and again it draws you back to how incapable you can be! - i felt totally alone and not in control..........

you go up and you go down...........

take it easy people!

.........one bad experience... i was walking today on crutches on a wet pavement (sidewalk) and my supporting crutch went from under me! - fuck! it hurts (i hope nothing has been damaged) and again it draws you back to how incapable you can be! - i felt totally alone and not in control..........

you go up and you go down...........

take it easy people!

Ahhh, don't worry about it. Is it still straight? No strange angles or anything? Trust Dr. Monkey - You'll be fine:D I did the same fuckin' thing the day after I got out of the hospital. Walking in to a gas station and I hit a wet spot on the floor. Crutch slipped and I accidentally put all my weight on my left leg to catch myself. It hurt like a bitch and I was really worried about it for a while but once I got the x-rays six weeks later all was peachy - But, dude, honestly, if you really think you jacked somethin' up you should go and find out for sure. You don't want to have to go through this whole freakin' thing all over again now do ya???B|

how true............. seems i thought i would breeze through the crutches......... but again something knocks ya down!

its not nice and no one came to help me in a crowded shopping center..i felt like a beetle on its back! .......... if in a few days it still hurts like this then i will think something aint right......... i still think shock and tension has alot to do with the uncomfortable pain i have.......... hopefully!

just another part of rehab i guess!!!

peace to all recovering!

Just use the "Guys Guide to Medical Wellness"

If you feel something weird on one side - check the other side - if you've got one on that side too, you're probably O.K.:S

Hope you get to feelin' better bro. I know how bad that shit hurts. Hey, here's an idea - grab some morphine and a beer. I promise, once you wake up next week, it'll all feel just great:ph34r::ph34r:

mate as you send the pics to me,i straight got the thourght...

you know the drink "snaps"... strong dring (2cl)it will make you a man or kill you:ph34r::D in DK we says that if you only get 1 of thouse you wont be abel to walk straight.. by all your metal i guess you have to drink one each day to walk straight:D:ph34r:

Hold on to your pink hat,chrutches and wheelchair, the mad dane and his GF is on their way(whith in a month),im sure i can make you think of other than your leg(ill kick you in the balls and you will think of you .... instead:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

the plate with 6 screws is in my fibula about 1/4 way up my leg from my ankle to knee, (you can also see the bottom of it in the pins pic) and the pins are in my tib and fib just above my foot (which you can see the top of in the bottom right corner of the pins pic)........

Sweet! I just found out that I might need a bone graft in about six weeks - ugh![:/] The good thing is that they said they might take out the hardware first and see if that helps my leg grow back together a little faster before they start chiseling bone off of my pelvisB| But hey, at least I'll be able to make it through the metal detector at the airport!:D:D:D

Once you get that freakin' leg back together we'll have to put together an "All Metal" B.A.S.E jump:P

Peace,
Z

ah jesus dude! I feel for ya! I have a mate that has just gone bone grafts for his leg after a skydiving accident.............

heal fast dude! a full metal BASE jump it is! I think it could be quite a big way!! :P

keep on smiling and dont let the bastards grind ya down!!

Peace!

Hi Base,

Looked at your X-Rays (radiographs?).

How recent is this? In the next few years you may want to start pestering your consultant about getting that stuff out!

The argument that worked for me was "I'm still jumping - the one thing that'd be worse than another broken ankle is another broken ankle with all that metal in it and bent!"

Also, you may start to get some discomfort with that stuff in cold / hot weather. Plus the long screw going through your Fibula and into your Tibula is going to interfere with the gliding movement of the Fibula as your ankle articulates.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I had several accidents and X-Rays (so I assume that I have probably collected about 80 or more X- Rays) - In January I had an skydiving accident at Skydive Spain (the only one - the rest was Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Downhill, ...) because of a very unlucky landing and I broke my ankle but like most times it healed very fast and I was walking again after 4 weeks and back skydiving in late February (after about 2 months) ...
I often had bad accidents but I was always more or less lucky (depends on your point of view) in the end and I do not suffer any after effects ...
I do not have any X-Rays to prove it [:/] (all kept by the hospital) ...
So now I hoping my time of hospital and pain has come to its end ... I also wonder if I have become like radioactive becaues of all these X-Rays ;)

Maybe I should add that I am 19 - I think thats quite a good collection of accidents I can present for the short period I live on this planet ;)

How recent is this? In the next few years you may want to start pestering your consultant about getting that stuff out!

I had the accident on May 14th and am due back in surgery (if my next set of X-rays shows that everything is ok) mid-July to have the long pin removed (apparently there is still a chance my tib and fib may spring apart when this is done and my consultant will then review! [:/] ) - Due to this long pin I am unable to weight bare during this period until after my next op - my leg already looks like an arm and PT afterwards is going to be a long and painful addition to the already frustrating journey...

One of my concerns is about going back jumping with the metal work in my leg - due to the nature of the objects I jump I will have more high impact landings and I am not too happy with the fact I have metal in my leg should I break myself again - either the impact will transfer higher up my leg or the metal will shatter and in turn shatter my leg and ankle worse than before - not something I would like to happen after the memory from the pain of this accident and the complications that were possible due to my injury.

I have spoken to people in both camps, some whom have said "dont jump with metal in your leg" and some that say "it has not caused me problems" (these are skydivers not BASE jumpers.

If I opt to wait to have the metal work removed (which i need to discuss with my consultant the pros and cons of this and jumping) then my journey to getting back to jumping will be much muuch longer. [:/]

Maybe I should add that I am 19 - I think thats quite a good collection of accidents I can present for the short period I live on this planet

Hey Dom, either you like to keep yourself active and pushing your limits or your just one real unlucky dude!! :P:D

One thing I have learnt is that getting busted up sucks - its not just a matter of busted, recover, return - it opens up the doors of so many other shitty things!!

To all in recovery - heal fast my friends......... smile and dont let the fuckers grind you down!

Peace

M

Hey Dom, either you like to keep yourself active and pushing your limits or your just one real unlucky dude!!

I think in the end its both - but most times when I got injured I was really unlucky (but on the other hand I had some accidents which had been absolutly close and I was lucky that I got out of it without a scratch!) ...
So at least its 60% unlucky and 40% pushing limits
;) - so I had more or less to pay for the risks I took ...
Fine recovery!!! :)

Hi Base,

Your ankle radiographs look not dissimilar to mine.

My consultant took the view that I should have the metal removed if I was going to continue to jump and I had a couple of minor ops (day surgery) over the year following getting my mobility back. - off work for about 10 days after each but that was waiting for the stitches to come out.

Incidentally I think my consultant was singularly well qualified to make this decision 'cos his office had 2 framed pics on the wall. One was a 4-way exit from an Islander and the other was a 3-way canopy stack! Both from grateful former customers B|.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

mate i hope you dont stop jumping,however if you do i will take your gear way for you:D:ph34r:

Mate serrius,621 do jump whith metal and look at him:D,if he can you can also...
Look at me,i dont have any metal,and i still jumps...

Its all up to you its all mental,if you really still want to jump,then you gonna jump again,if not,its your choice and i deeply respect that,aslong as you dont drink all the beers as you GC:D:ph34r::P

Heal fast BRO

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Damn, your x-rays could be mine. Broke the tib/fib in late January, got the big screw holding the two bones together taken out in April, and started jumping again in May. My surgeon never once said I couldn't jump with metal, so I'm kinda wondering what the issue is. Mine is stainless, so if I hit hard enough it's not going to bend, but the bone above it may break. My plan is not to do that. LOL! I'm very careful these days about when I'll jump, high wind I'm grounded, and no wind, I'm grounded. I've done two jumps in no wind conditions and I couldn't make myself put my foot forward to run it out so I ended up on my belly both times, the ankle was sore for a few hours but otherwise no ill effects. Anyway, don't think about it too much or you may think yourself into trading in that rig for a boat.

hey dude! you get me wrong! I aint gonna stop jumping! - but I need to decide whether or not I am going to jump with metal work in my leg.......... If not then I have to wait longer, go through more surgery to get it out before i go back........

I believe 621 had his plate removed..... you can see it in his bathroom!

I would not jump with a metal plate inside your foot/leg - because if you have another accident the metal plate would probably cause the bone to split into pieces (more or less unrepairable!) ...
I have also a metal plate inside my foot/leg because I broke my bone short above the ankle and I have started jumping again but I am always aware of the fact that I have to take care! - So in the end I think it depends on what you gonna do because I am not doing Base with it and I am jumping a Sabre 150 so thats safe in my opinion but you should be very careful because an accident when you still have the metal inside can be extremly bad!

because if you have another accident the metal plate would probably cause the bone to split into pieces (more or less unrepairable!) ...

and this is my fear..............

its a fact that in BASE that I will be open to another similar injury - and the thought of it being worse because of the metal work is not sitting pretty with me at the moment..................

[:/]