winsor

Turkey

With nothing to do but hang out in the Balkans (and get at most three hop and pops), I broke down and got a flight to Istanbul for the weekend.

Since I only have a vague idea of what to do during a two-day tourist stint (though I am pretty resourceful), I am open to suggestions as to what to do and where to go in Byzantium.

I gather there's lots to see and do, but appreciate hints as to what I really ought not miss while I'm there.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Damnit, your post made me think of the They Might Be Giants song "Istanbul." Now that I've listened to it, its stuck in my head...

I can't help you out with your post, but I thought I should bitch about you reminding me of this song.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Why did Constantinople get the works?" :D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Definitely take the boat ride up the bosphorus river, leaves early am with a stop to get off and have lunch in one of the many nice restaurants, returns late afternoon. get it by the ferry boats.

Go to the classic turkish bath after that!

For sure, the 2 major temples...the blue temple and Hagia Sofia (both next to each other).Blue temple has a light show everynite (free).

Topkapi palace is the MAX! Unbelievable! MUST SEE! Don't miss the treasure room....I have never seen such large and elaborate jewelry.

There's a neighborhood filled with seafood restaurants, all are great!

Hot apple tea is nice even on hot days. Everyone drinks it instead of 'turkish coffee'

the worst part was everyone trying to sell you a carpet!

I loved Istanbul.....it was the center of the roman empire. there is a monolith that was the center point where all roads led...

Wear a hat, and drink lots of water, its hot now!
have fun!!

marc

PS just noticed your avatar....snappy sammy smoot from the old underground Bijou Funnies!! Flash to the past that was!B|

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Istanbul dude Turkey rocks. Good people, the hottest girls in the world IMHO.

Go to the museums, chill out by the harbor, Take a row boat tour, and have fun man.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

"There was a young man from 'stanbul..."

:D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."