winsor

Let's be careful out there

The Convention is almost upon us, and I invite everyone to have the time of their lives and go home in one piece.

The keys to staying safe are things you already know. All it takes is a gentle reminder to think ahead, and the odds are stacked in your favor.

I have seen rather a few people come to grief in this sport, and it was almost always avoidable by using the tools you should have mastered by the time you got off student status.

The Convention publishes safety articles every year, and they tend to go over some good basics. The article by Bill von Novak takes a different tack than does Gary Peek's or mine, but reading any or all of them can't hurt.

Whatever you do, think ahead, have a plan, stay heads-up, look out for each other and don't push your luck.

None of us are immune, and we get constant reminders of that fact. I've had the odd wake-up call, and can attest that the tuition can be a bitch for even the most minor lesson.

If you have to get injured at the Convention, let it be a pulled muscle from trying position #402 from the Kama Sutra at the end of the day. Then again, if you're limber and stretch first, even that might be avoided.

The time to get into the mindset to keep it safe is now. It's a hell of a lot more fun when everyone stays healthy and happy.

I'll see you there.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Thanks, Winsor. B|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I have pushed both these articles to the home page again... I'll leave them up there for a while.

Thanks HH.

Um, I take it you won't be able to join us in Rantoul this year? :( I wouldn't be the same....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I am aware of the search feature.

However, since he said "The Convention publishes..." I was thinking they were on a WFFC site instead.

The WFFC puts our articles in the flier they give out in the registration package. Bill, Gary and I have had our treatments of the subject included through the years. As I said, we take a different approach but our goal is the same.

I have had enough people comment that one thing or another we discussed really helped them when it mattered, so I consider the effort worthwhile.

I found my article on a server to which I have access (I won't get back from Serbia until just before the Convention), so I have attached it here.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Thanks, it's a great idea for anyone that is planning on attending the WFFC to read those.

Sangiro, are you going to be back in time to attend the Convention again? You know how I love to bow down to you and kiss your ring;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

do you have a link to these articles?

It occurs to me that including this one directly in the post is probaby a better approach.

-------------------------------------------------------

Flight Planning for Safety
by Winsor Naugler III

In any aviation activity proper flight planning is critical to safety, and skydiving is no exception. If you take the time beforehand to plan for various eventualities, you don’t waste precious time making decisions when they arise.

Preflight
• Familiarize yourself with aerial views of the DZ and surrounding area, if they are available. Note locations of obstacles and pick likely outs for bad spots in various directions.
• Check weather reports, if possible, and note forecast winds at altitude, cloud conditions and any approaching fronts. You are less likely to be blindsided by rapid changes in conditions when informed of their likelihood.
• Turn on your AAD, if so equipped. Make sure your hook knives are accessible.
• Find out who on the formation has audible or visible altimeters, AADs and RSLs; make sure they are all operational and properly initialized.
• Check your and your partners’ gear.
• Make sure you are in agreement on breakoff and opening procedures and altitudes.
• Face into the wind and see where the sun is. Its position should be the same when you are on final and there is no wind indicator available.

Exit
• Know what groups are around you, what they are doing and what delay is planned between groups (ask around before and after boarding). The Skydive Arizona policy of large to small slow-faller groups, followed by large to small fast-faller groups, followed by students, followed by tandems is the best all-around approach in the business.
• The more of a delay between groups you can arrange, the better. DO NOT assume that any reasonable delay is reason not to pay attention to other groups in the air - LOOK AROUND!

Freefall
• Dock gently, from the level of the formation. DO NOT swoop into a formation, but make the final approach smooth and deliberate.
• DO NOT EVER get above or below a formation. Inadvertent deployment can become fatal fast if people are above each other.
• If low, stay near and to the side of the formation until breakoff. Do NOT begin tracking before breakoff altitude, and DO NOT do anything to increase vertical separation..
• Track flat at a common level. DO NOT drop out of a formation vertically. If you have an inadvertent deployment when you are below the formation, the likelihood of someone getting killed is significant. The greatest likelihood of an inadvertent deployment is right after exposing the pilot chute pouch to direct air stream – like when dropping out of a formation in a stand-up.
• Track to a clear sector while watching the people on either side. While flat tracking, it is easy to split the difference between the people to either side by looking under your arms.

Canopy Flight
• Open at an appropriate altitude. Between two and three thousand feet is reasonable for a high traffic event; any higher opening (for CRW or whatever) should be arranged with the pilot.
• Do NOT spiral down through a high traffic area. If spiraling to lose altitude, get well off the wind line to stay clear of the spot for other groups, and LOOK AROUND. In a turn, the direction of most likely collision is at the leading edge of the canopy in the direction of the turn, and there is a blind spot where a collision may occur between jumpers whose canopies blocked their view of each other until right before the collision. I reiterate - SPIRALING IN HIGH TRAFFIC IS DANGEROUS!
• The safest flight path when opening above the landing area is to fly the canopy away from the landing area, perpendicular to jumprun, until far enough out to allow a long, shallow approach to the landing area (leave enough room for obstacle clearance).
• LOOK AROUND NEAR THE GROUND! Don’t fixate on your landing, but pay attention to who is in the area. Keep your head on a swivel, and periodically scan for potential traffic.
• Do not execute unplanned turns near the ground. If you are cut off on final, executing an avoidance turn must not be a possible response.

Landing
• The safest landing areas are the least popular ones with the most outs. Landing in congested areas or where ground traffic is allowed (e.g., the camping area) can be an invitation to disaster.
• If you must turn for traffic or obstacle avoidance while setting up to land, use a FLAT TURN. If you don’t know how to do so, find out from someone experienced in the maneuver and practice at altitude until you have the procedure wired.
• Keep your head on a swivel after touchdown. Even if you land under complete control, you might want to dodge someone who is swooping where they should not.

=>If landing out is inevitable, or if safely making it to a designated landing area is in doubt:
• Pick an open area in which to land by 1,000 feet (300 metres). Corn can be over 12’ (4m) tall (a cornfield is NOT like an unmown lawn), so landing between rows and preparing for a PLF will reduce the likelihood or extent of injury.
• Any changes of color on the ground probably have barbed wire along the boundary. Land parallel to any area changes.
• Locate any telephone poles or other wire supports by 500 feet (150 metres), and set up to avoid the wires that are sure to go between them.
• Identify the lay of the land by 500 feet (150 metres), and set up to land alongside any hills. Do NOT land uphill or downhill, REGARDLESS of what the wind is doing.
• If there is any doubt about the landing surface, or if you are sure to have excess speed on touchdown (like when stuck with a downwind landing) execute a PLF and roll out the landing. Keeping feet and knees together, and not using hands or elbows to break the fall can greatly help avoiding injury.

Sangiro, are you going to be back in time to attend the Convention again? You know how I love to bow down to you and kiss your ring

:)
I totally read: kiss your thing

Sorry...no disrespect, made me laugh. Shows where my head is.
:$:D

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

One thing to add to that Winsor - for those that come from smaller DZs, the visuals will be different. Rantoul is a huge airbase, and the runways are bigger than at most dropzones. Everything will look different from all alitutudes, be mindful of where you are at.