Another Job Interview Today

This one went better than the one I had last week.

Those of you who read about the interview I had last Tuesday know that I don't take any crap from potential employers.

This one was different.

I got a call yesterday afternoon from the IT manager of an "Adventure Cruise" company that has a fleet of ships that are smaller than Princess, Carnival, etc. They don't go to the foo-foo umbrella-drink places in the Caribbean; they go to the Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, etc.

That already makes them interesting to me.

The job would involve tech support of their home office in downtown Seattle, plus doing network maintenance on the cruise ships while they're in port or in dry-dock.

I think I made a favorable impression on the guy because I knew what working on a ship is like (dank, dirty, sweaty, etc.), and it didn't bother me.

Furthermore, it impressed him that I wasn't just an IT puke - I had a decade of electronics experience as well. This pleased him because they have some issues with their SATCOM systems wrt the computer networks, and have electrical / electronic situations that the typical IT puke isn't trained to deal with.

The guy said there would be callbacks soon, as they want to get somebody on board NLT a week from Monday or so.

I wouldn't say it's in the bag, but it looks like I may be getting off the unemployment rolls shortly. This is a good thing, as I will run out of benefits for good in five weeks.

The only downside that I can see so far is that it's in downtown Seattle - a lengthy commute to say the least, even if one is driving one's own car down there, which is unlikely.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."