Harmless

DeWolf Clarification

So I'm practicing my reserve packing at home and It's going to be a week or two till I see my mentor. The only thing I've been shown so far is stack packing, so I'm trying to practice pro packing.

http://www.hightimeskydiving.com/DeWolf_Pack.pdf

I'm a little lost on steps 47-48 of these instructions. Which part am I supposed to cocoon? And I'm not picturing what to do with the nose to end up looking like step 49.

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

ETA: fixed link
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Handsome Dave gives very clear explanations for any questions regarding his reserve PRO pack method. He does this every January at a cost of ~US$1500 over a nine day period. ;)

Your link doesn't work but I think what you are trying to accomplish is coccooning after the side-folds have been made. The topskin only goes under the side-folds but not the flaked center cells.

I would recommend not trying to pack using Dave's method, or any other method, on your own. You need someone there with you who knows what needs to be done, what you're looking at, and can guide you as you pack. You don't want to develop and ingrain wrong techniques or poor practices.

Nova

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Handsome Dave gives very clear explanations for any questions regarding his reserve PRO pack method. He does this every January at a cost of ~US$1500 over a nine day period. ;)

Your link doesn't work but I think what you are trying to accomplish is coccooning after the side-folds have been made. The topskin only goes under the side-folds but not the flaked center cells.

I would recommend not trying to pack using Dave's method, or any other method, on your own. You need someone there with you who knows what needs to be done, what you're looking at, and can guide you as you pack. You don't want to develop and ingrain wrong techniques or poor practices.

Nova

That's pretty sound advice!

Chuck

I don't see a problem doing some practice packs on one's own. It'll help Harmless get used to what's in the manual, and think about the implications all those steps.

Will he do some things in an amateurish or wrong manner? Of course. But he'll be learning the right way in a couple weeks, so it isn't as if he'll have long term ingrained habits. He'll already have some knowledge of the steps involved.

By the way Harmless, step 47-48 on the nose: Slide the 2 groups of leading edges inwards until they are just hidden under the stack, while keeping them facing the same way as they start - towards the outside. As you do it, the extra material behind the leading edge gets into an S fold just above it.

EDIT: Step 46 is the only cocooning that happens. Nothing ends up wrapping around the nose. It stays exposed for clean fast inflation

Report back in a month to say how things went...

I would have to agree with Nova on this one. Learning to pack on your own is not the best of ideas.

Agreed!
Right now I have four rigger apprentices in my loft learning how to pack reserves.
Talk about being busier than a one-armed helicopter pilot in a windstorm!!!
Fortunately a Rigger A is helping supervise practice.