bliston

Worth contacting previous rigger?

If it's something that, if done again, would/could cause a malfunction on a reserve deployment... Yes! I'm not a rigger, but if i wasn't doing something properly i would want to know because it is my butt on the line.

Now if said rigger is a butt head about it and blows you off... I would consider contacting a higher authority.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

If you came across a Sigma tandem rig that didn't have the safety thread through the skyhook plastic cover (or the red lanyard tacked down the old way) would you contact the previous rigger about it?

No. the red safety thread and seal are a non operational part of the pack job that have to do purely with compliance. Unless you work for the FAA forget it. If you are having a drink with the rigger you might bring it up, but that is it.

If you came across a Sigma tandem rig that didn't have the safety thread through the skyhook plastic cover (or the red lanyard tacked down the old way) would you contact the previous rigger about it?

No. the red safety thread and seal are a non operational part of the pack job that have to do purely with compliance. Unless you work for the FAA forget it. If you are having a drink with the rigger you might bring it up, but that is it.

Are you talking about the thread (and seal) on the reserve pin of the rig?

That's not what the OP is asking about.

There is supposed to be a loop of seal thread that helps to hold the red skyhook lanyard on the hook that is part of the reserve bridle.

The OP didn't mention any seal, he only mentioned thread. He is asking about something that is not externally visible.

Contact the previous rigger. Nobody has enough experience packing and deploying Skyhooks to make the unilateral decision that the thread is not needed.

I'm not sure how to express this, but I almost feel like 100% compliance with the manual is somehow more important on a tandem than a sport rig. Maybe I should say that sport rigs should be 100% and tandems should be 110% (even though that's not physically possible).

You're talking about the most complicated rig in the DZ, a rig that stands a good chance of the main being packed 'under pressure' and will ultimately be carrying a paying customer.

I guess I just have a little more tolerance for cutting corners (not major corners) on a sport rig vs. a tandem rig.

:)
I would call him/her for information & education.

The Red Seal cotton thread at the Skyhook is a part of the system rigging & an active part.

The other issue I met there is a LOOSE Red thread which let the Red lanyard sliding out without braking the thread.

Please call & EDUCATE !!!

Be Safe !!!

Hi Ben. I've heard about you but never met.

What I have heard, is that you are a stand up guy.

The fact that you are asking tells you what must be done.

As difficult as it sometimes is, you owe it to the skydiving community to inform this rigger of this error.

Do it with tact, compassion and empathy.

We all need corrective feedback at times regardless of experience. When delivered the right way this feedback could save a life.

Good luck.

Sandy
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.