e.a.hernandez

Tempo 210 for Javelin J4K

I would not pack it in the container if someone brought me that combo with out written approval from Sunpath. The J4K is designed for a PD176/Raven II. A Tempo 210 is too large to fit in the container correctly and over stuffing it can result in major rigging issues.

I've noticed a few posts that you keep referring to the J4K you bought, I think you might have gone about looking for gear the wrong way. You need to first decide on canopy choices and then find a container that fits those choices, not a container and then canopies.

You really need to sit down and talk to your rigger and instructors about the gear choices you are making since they seem to be made with out any of their inputs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for the reply. I have gotten advice from my instructors before and bought the container so it would fit the appropiate main/reserve (170/190 ZP main). The reason for asking about the tempo 210 was mainly due to budget and not because I was looking for a bigger canopy. Not sure why you think I bought gear the wrong based on my question about a tempo 210 and other forum questions. Is it wrong to ask this type of question on the forums?

We were canoeing once and a couple guys stopped on a bridge we were going under, got out of the car and asked me how deep the water was. They were planning on jumping off the bridge into the water.
Do you think it's a good idea to ask a drunk redneck that you don't know how deep the water is?

Do you think it is a good idea to ask a drunk redneck,that you don't know, questions over the internet about gear that might kill you?

Everyone has opinions. Get a good rigger.

Not sure why you think I bought gear the wrong based on my question about a tempo 210 and other forum questions. Is it wrong to ask this type of question on the forums?

No, it is not wrong to ask such questions on the forums.

I think all Pzone was saying that the "usual" way folks go about things when buying their fir... err... pre-second rig is to pick an appropriately sized main & reserve for them and then get the rig (container) to match. Look at most order forms for containers and somewhere on there you'll likely find a place to note what sized main and reserve you intend to put into it. For example, if you were to order a new Jav and said you were going to put a Sabre2-170 and a PD-160 Reserve in it... they'd build you a J3K w/ harness sized to your measurements and choice of colors.

Nothing wrong with the way you're going about it though. Like you said, you're on a budget. Sounds like you found this J4K at a good price for you and now you're trying to find appropriate canopies to go in it at an economical price, for you. Again, nothing wrong, just not the order in which things usually go.

I too have noticed a lot of posts out of you here regarding what to build around this J4K you've acquired. Again, nothing wrong with that (posting questions), but I hope you're talking to your local riggers too. Good luck. Let us know what y'all settle on. ;)

E.A., think this forum is a fine place to ask these questions. I just got my "A" license and much like you I was exploring many options to get my own gear. I talked to the veteran jumpers at my dropzone, my instructors and the dropzone riggers. I also followed the forums on Dropzone.com. My primary concern was that I wanted to start jumping with my own gear. I ended up buying a PD 210, Vector 2 container, Tempo reserve and an AAD. With the exception of the AAD everything was old (AAD was only three months old with 12 jumps). I had a firm game plan for my upgrades and since I now had my own rig to jump I could upgrade as $$$ became available for what I want. Now that being said, I do take a lot of ribbing for my container being around when the Flock of Seagulls were still touring [:/] This is easy to justify because every jump is $27 toward my new gear vice toward the dropzone owner's rental gear. Plus, if I have a less than photogenic landing I can say "That's how we did it in the 80's" :ph34r:

My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.