peacefuljeffrey

Do you like Corned Beef and Cabbage?

I made my first Corned Beef back last St. Patrick's Day for a party we had at work. I used a recipe that a co-worker found for me in a magazine.

I wonder who here likes Corned Beef and who doesn't.

If you're interested, the recipe I used:

Beer Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage (with Carrots too)

Coat both sides of a corned beef with fresh black pepper grounds. Brown 3-5 minutes on each side in a pan with a bit of canola oil.

Place corned beef into a large pot, with one or two bottles of good Irish beer. I use either Harp or Guinness, either one was tasty. Fill the pot the rest of the way with water until the beef is covered, and add two or three tablespoons of coarse ground mustard (I use Boar's Head deli mustard). Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours, or until tender for slicing. Remove meat from water -- do not discard water! Place sliced green cabbage and carrot chunks into water, and keep on moderate heat somewhere near boil for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from water with a slotted spoon. Place the meat on top of a bed of the cabbage and carrots for presentation. Slice across the grain for tenderness.

This recipe is amazing! I'm eating the product of it right now! I bought a corned beef out of nowhere the other day and was just waiting for an opportunity to make it -- figures a hurricane would provide that chance! I'm just glad I haven't lost power for the cooking! :)
Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I made my first Corned Beef back last St. Patrick's Day for a party we had at work. I used a recipe that a co-worker found for me in a magazine.

I wonder who here likes Corned Beef and who doesn't.

If you're interested, the recipe I used:

Beer Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage (with Carrots too)

Coat both sides of a corned beef with fresh black pepper grounds. Brown 3-5 minutes on each side in a pan with a bit of canola oil.

Place corned beef into a large pot, with one or two bottles of good Irish beer. I use either Harp or Guinness, either one was tasty. Fill the pot the rest of the way with water until the beef is covered, and add two or three tablespoons of coarse ground mustard (I use Boar's Head deli mustard). Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours, or until tender for slicing. Remove meat from water -- do not discard water! Place sliced green cabbage and carrot chunks into water, and keep on moderate heat somewhere near boil for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from water with a slotted spoon. Place the meat on top of a bed of the cabbage and carrots for presentation. Slice across the grain for tenderness.

This recipe is amazing! I'm eating the product of it right now! I bought a corned beef out of nowhere the other day and was just waiting for an opportunity to make it -- figures a hurricane would provide that chance! I'm just glad I haven't lost power for the cooking! :)
Blue skies,
-

you are really bored, aren't you ;)

to answer your question.. i have never tried it... :S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

you are really bored, aren't you ;)

to answer your question.. i have never tried it... :S

I'm stuck inside and there's a hurricane coming right our way! It's either that or kill kittens! :P

Blue skies,
-

:o

well, stay safe down there!!!

and about the kittens....
whatever it takes, i guess ;)

Ok staying on the subject of St Pat's food... Ever make Irish Stew??

I made my first pot of it for this past St Pats (Pilot club dinner)

Ok. Lamb SMELLS!!!
The stew turned out good. Took all afternoon to cook, cost a fortune (Lamb is Not cheap)
and I got lots of compliments on it which was surprising since I never cook and had certainly never attempted that before....but it sure did stink up my place... for days!! :S

Im guessing your Cabbage doensn't smell too good either :S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

.... being a 100 % Italian-American Boy I
never tried it ,, until I got "growned-up"....
When i met my wife who is Irish - English in heritage,, her Mom made it for us.... on Saint Pattys day.....
....:o:) well It is about the BEST!!!!
tasting dinner,, ever. The texture of the corned beef,, the sweetness of the cabbage and the healthy carrots make for a great meal.....
Add a cold brew or two and it can be March 17th around here ANYtime...
and the best part ,,,,, you don't have to be a super good cook,, to prepare it,,, you just have to be patient..... One suggestion,,,, get a Large piece of corned beef brisket at least a couple of pounds,,,,because it cooks down a bit when prepared,,, and you might like it so much that you will wish you had twice as much..;)

I'm glad your Italian heritage didn't hold you back from experiencing this delicacy!

I've been up all night, just chillin' because of the hurricane. Earlier Friday I cooked up a head of cabbage, a bag of carrots, and a 4.25 lb. corned beef! I used that recipe I listed at the thread start -- it makes the best corned beef I've ever had in my life, and I grew up in New York! (Kosher delis are supposed to be known for their corned beef, but theirs is bland compared to mine with the beer, pepper and mustard!)

Yes, it's true, the meat cooks down, so you have to start big, or do like I did when I made it for St. Patrick's Day at work, and use two. (That was an expensive contribution for our party from me, man. I spent like $30 on the corned beef alone, never mind the carrots, cabbage and electricity for the stove!)

You're right that you don't have to be a very skilled cook to make a successful corned beef and cabbage. I am a pretty good cook in general, though, mostly 'cause I just love to eat good food!

Next stop, pastrami! :)
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I grew up German-Irish-+, and ate that at least once a month, sometimes as much as once a week (my grandfather was 100% Irish). One would think that when you eat one food quite a bit as a child you grow to hate it, and in most cases that is correct. Not so with this!

Yum!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Just what the heck is corned beef, anyway. Yea, I know, it a hunk of bovine muscle that has been treated somehow -- but how? What -- has it been soaked in corn? It doesn't seem like it. Does it have corns from walking too much in tight shoes? I don't think so.