millertime24

Buying a rig while I'm deployed

Got family in the states ? Unless they despise you, they can probably take delivery.

Buying thorugh a rigger/loft ? Shipping different parts to a rigger/loft ? I bet they would hold it for you.

Buying a used rig through a reputable dealer/seller ? I am guessing they should have no problems holding it until you get back, or shipping it a few days before your arrival.

There are probably other options available, such as friends (unless you don't have any), DZOs or DZs.

My guess is you could use someone your size (for fitting) to get proper harness. Then use reputable rigger to make sure everything is in good shape and you're all set!
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Its funny you replied because its your add that I had in mind.

:) It's even funnier that I am currently holding a rig for a person who comes home from UAE for Christmas. We made a deal where I will ship it to a friend of mine in his home area, and he will just take possession of it as soon as he gets home.
(he sent me a downpayment, and will exchange the balance for the rig with my friend during a meet).

My guess is you could use someone your size (for fitting) to get proper harness.

Bad idea!
And it is not much better trying to measure yourself.

Far wiser to ask a rigger - or tailor - to measure you in accordance with the harness manufacturer's instructions.

Mirage has an excellent measuring guide and your medics should have a non stretch tape measure (for body fat). ;) I had one of my medic measure me twice on different days to make sure the measurements were similar if not the same. I used a local dealer and timed the delivery to coincide with my return stateside.B|

--------------------------------------------------
"People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf." - George Orwell

Just wondering how I should go about buying a rig while I'm over here in Baghdad. Who to send it to, best way to pay, etc... Maybe some military folks who have done this can chime in. I would really like to have it WHEN I get back. Thanks for the help.

I bought mine when I was sitting at Talil AB, I talked to Bonnie at Gravity Gear, she had a rig that fit me pretty damn well, I paid for it via paypal and she shipped it to a friends house.

How much longer are you going to be in baghdad? Ill be heading over there pretty soon
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message