scdiver89

Good helmet brand for a newbie

<<<>>>
Hey guys, im starting to notice the vast difference between a "real" sport jumpers helmet and the plastic egg shell provided by the dz for students...that being said im in the market for a safe while somewhat stylish helmet. i have been looking at the COOKIE brand Ozone helmet and it looks to be what i am looking for but i want to know if its worth the money or if there are other brands that are more sturdy/ comfortable and more suitable for someone new to the sport. also would it be a good idea to get a used one or splurge the 250 for a n.i.b. one... another thing is i wear contacts and have lost one on a couple jumps would a closed face helmet help with that? are they sealed at the neck as to not let as much air in? or would it be the same ammount of air flow across my goggles? all of this sounds juvinile im sure but thanks for your imput guys.
blue skys, Grant

That "plastic egg shell" is more than likely a Pro-Tec. It provides a lot more real protection than a "real" skydiving helmet.

I have a Bonehead set up for a camera, but I still jump my Pro-Tec when I don't jump the camera.

For a "newbie" the Pro-Tec has a lot to offer.
Cheap - You will probably biff and scratch it up early on. You won't mind that on a $40 Pro-Tec as much as a $250 Cookie.
Tough - See above. One good hit can crack a carbon fiber helmet.
Real Protection. Try on a few of the "real" skydiving helmets vs. the Pro-Tec. Feel how much better the padding is. About the only one I know of (I may be wrong, feel free to correct me)that has good protection is the D3o from Cookie.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

<<<>>>
Hey guys, im starting to notice the vast difference between a "real" sport jumpers helmet and the plastic egg shell provided by the dz for students...that being said im in the market for a safe while somewhat stylish helmet. i have been looking at the COOKIE brand Ozone helmet and it looks to be what i am looking for but i want to know if its worth the money or if there are other brands that are more sturdy/ comfortable and more suitable for someone new to the sport. also would it be a good idea to get a used one or splurge the 250 for a n.i.b. one... another thing is i wear contacts and have lost one on a couple jumps would a closed face helmet help with that? are they sealed at the neck as to not let as much air in? or would it be the same ammount of air flow across my goggles? all of this sounds juvinile im sure but thanks for your imput guys.
blue skys, Grant

an AFF level 1 student landed off yesterday and smacked into the asphalt pretty hard, his "plastic eggshell" helmet saved him from cracking his skull and a severe concussion, I'll post the "after pic" of the helmet if I can find it ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...