PrairieDoug

Fla Keys Vacation In Winter?

I've been working with a travel agent to arrange a vacation around Christmas with my kids (age 16-22). She's recommending a trip to the Fla Keys, including stays in Isla Morada, Key Largo, and Key West.

It sounds nice, but I'm wondering if the weather there that time of year will be an issue. We're really looking for a tropical-type experience. Is it warm enough in December to swim in the ocean and hang out on the beach without shivering?

I'd really appreciate feedback on this from anyone who has lived on the Keys or visited during that time of year,

If the Keys thing doesn't work out, I'll just save the money and go to the DZ.com holiday boogie instead!

Thanks a lot, Doug

I've been working with a travel agent to arrange a vacation around Christmas with my kids (age 16-22). She's recommending a trip to the Fla Keys, including stays in Isla Morada, Key Largo, and Key West.

It sounds nice, but I'm wondering if the weather there that time of year will be an issue. We're really looking for a tropical-type experience. Is it warm enough in December to swim in the ocean and hang out on the beach without shivering?

I'd really appreciate feedback on this from anyone who has lived on the Keys or visited during that time of year,

If the Keys thing doesn't work out, I'll just save the money and go to the DZ.com holiday boogie instead!

Thanks a lot, Doug

http://www.keywest.com/wtrtable.html

Hi Doug. Well, it's all relative. Friends that visit from the great frozen north, seem to be delighted with running around on the beach in 65F. I you live down here, 65F is sweater weather, but then we wear thermal underwear when it hits 40F. ;) Water will be warm.

The keys have their charm and key west is not to be missed, but it's a tiny little town a few blocks across (with many thousands of tourists down to get that tropical experience) A shit load of some nice picturesque bars playing up the tropical theme to the max, and playing music that tourists identify with the tropical sound. Sidewalk cafes with throngs of milling people. Then you have even more tourist shops ...oh, and Ernest Hemingway's house. I think it's tourist hell (even more so than most of south florida) that time of year with everything double/triple the summer rates. Course that's a local talking. We like living in paradise but are a teeny bit grumpy about so many people coming to visit. Millions of people love it but if your coming from New England in December, any warm place is pretty easy to love.

Depends on what you want. If you're looking for broad, white sand beaches with palm trees swaying in the breeze, you would probably be a bit disappointed in the keys. You might want check out the Naples/SW Fla area. Tourist oriented, to be sure, but not at the accelerated pace of Key West in tourist season. Great beaches in Miami Beach also, but the atmosphere is less laid back and you got those skyscraper things lurking in the background. Actually, all three areas are geographically close. If you choose Key West, you will have to drive through Miami and right by Miami Beach with Naples two hours west of miami.

Have Fun!

Michael

I lived in the keys last year from Aug. - April so I was able to experience the full winter in the keys. I taught marine science while I was there so I was on and in the water just about everyday. Although the temp. really doesn't get to cold, when cold fronts go through, the wind can blow pretty hard at times which makes it a bit more chilly. Then, days after the front would pass, I would be in shorts and a t-shirt again. The kicker is the water temp. In jan. and feb. the water near shore got into the mid 60's sometimes. But cool thing is, if you go out to the reefs on a boat, you'll be in water temps in the mid 70's. this i because you are so close to where the Fl. current and antillean current meet to form the gulf stream. Short sleeve wetsuits are best at the reef this time of year. If you are wanting to go in the water nearshore, than a full suit will be needed. The crowds are not bad and when you are out of the water, air temps. are quite comfortable. If you are from up north, this will definitely be a nice change of temp and life pace for you. I personally prefer the lower keys to the upper keys. I lived on Big Pine when I was down there. If you have anymore questions, feel free to e-mail me directly. (ie: where to eat, fish, or snokel.) The keys are one of the best places in florida and I love to talk about them and help people experience them as I did.

Nick Bosco
Sales Representative
North & South America
Aerodyne Research Corporation
12649 Race Track Road
Tampa, FL 33626

Tel. +1 813 891-6300
Fax. +1 813 891-6315
Mobile +1 813 679-7190
[email protected]
www.aerodyne-int.com

Thanks a lot to edwinsneller, crwmike, and NickB for your feedback -- I really appreciate it. I'm still feeling a little conflicted on whether or not to commit to this trip. The Keys are beautiful... but everything is so much more expensive at Christmas, and wearing full wetsuits is not the "tropical experience" I had in mind... but I'd still like to do some kind of holiday getaway. :S

The keys rock for kids, I would check outwww.ventureout.org you can rent a place for 750 a week, the is a gated park with bike rentals, a kids and adult pool and a store. You are 23 miles from Key West.

You can hit the beaches in Key West, the butterfly museum, etc. The nice thing about venture out is you are right on the ocean, the kids can fish and swim all day long or you can go to Key West.

Fly into Miami and rent a van and drive the 3 hours to cudjo key, it is a great drive. PM me if you like I can give you a call and dial you in, we go every year.

Big Pine key in the Key above Cudjo key. I agree the lower keys are much better then the upper keys.

Tim