jayrech

Possibilities of rear riser input through secondary horizontal lift web

A friend and I were brainstorming the possibilities of having a rear riser input rigged through a horizontal strap routed in the seat of the harness. When flying your usually leaned forward in your harness so why not take advantage of possibly being able to plane out your canopy with a simple sit back in your harness. Please keep in mind this is just an idea so feel free to pick it appart!
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

FWIW-getting this new control trimmed correctly, how would you be able to do only left or only right, what if you are just plane tired and need to sit back to relax, now you are screwing with your inputs, by no means am i tryign to stop progress, but good luck, let me know what happens :)
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Wouldn't leaning back, pulling down the rears, lead to the pilot swinging under the canopy... therefor leaning back more etc.

I forsee a similar problem with people reaching out a leg on landing and doing harness turns, then when it starts turning people stick the leg out which makes it turn more.

Or perhaps I'm not making any sense at all.

Pretty cool idea, all though I don't know how practical. How precise can someone really be on their ass? Also, someone might need a very good set of core muscles to hold themselves in the appropriate lean and or sit to plane out right. I dunno, maybe this could become a common thing, I just don't see it, for the simple reason that humans are known for their hands to do precise work, not our asses or legs.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Go back to the drawing board.

For starters, how are you going to connect the rear risers, which are packed inside the container, to the harness, which is not in the container. Remember, complicated riging and lots of moving pieces are bad for control systems. They are critical for safety, and have to be 100% reliable.

Think about current control systems. It's a string and a loop attached to the back of the canopy. Pretty simple.

Moving on, even if you made it work, leaning forawrd and back in the narness is a poor means of input. You need to lean forward when you land to get your weight up over your feet in preperation for walking/running. If you're already leaning back adding input, what happens to that input when you need to lean forward?

I have an idea, how about using your hands to work the rear risers. Grab on to them, pull as needed, release as needed. Game over.

A decade ago, Ted Strong jumped an experimental harness with four main risers.
Two risers attached to regular 3-Rings on the front of his shoulders, while a second set of main risers attached to a second set of 3-Rings on the rear of his shoulders.
The front risers only attached to the A and B lines.
The rear risers held the C, D and steering lines.
It had four cutaway cables sewn to one cutaway handle.
Ted only jumped it (accuracy competition) for one season.

It's actually a very interesting idea but I not sure skydiving is the place to use it. I think this would be a lot more appropreat for paragliding and speed flying. There are two very different positions in a paragliding harness and no need for a cutaway.

I'll try to describe what I'm imagioning. Say you had a strap passing through the main clip where the canopy attached. Where it would be slack leaning forwards but pull taunt when you reclined. a short strap on the D riser could be pulled down a set distance to trim the canopy out into a flatter glide. even a speed bar type system pulling full on the D's and half on the C's. When you leaned forward it would trim down for approach.

Now the truth is most paragliders don't need to front riser there landing. Their huge. but a speed glider might apprecate a little more flare athority and the ability to lean back for a flatter trim in flight.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

You pretty well hit the nail on the head with that one. I wasn't entirely thinking of straight skydiving with this modification. If any one can take advantage of the idea that would be great. Its going to take some thinking but it might just work. I would have it similar to the front risers on a speed wing, adjustable for trim and ass size as well as making it easy to relax a little more in the harness with out putting too much input in.
D.S 174.2

I was hoping the idea would be pushed a little more towards swooping. Most of the swoopers would be expected to have the core muscles dialed in to have the finesse using there asses to put in some input through the rear risers.
D.S 174.2