NiteQwill

Packing a Lotus Max

Picked up a recently relined [by Brian Germain] Lotus Max from Serg, and with a little help from some riggers, got it attached and flying.

First, this canopy is great in flight! Over my last canopy, Spectre, this canopy just brought smiles to my face the whole 4 minutes after a hop-n-pop.B|

My question: Any tips on packing an airlocked canopy? I've been packing since I was a student and other than the usual packing-blues on a hot day, it has been noneventlful. For the first time ever, I had to ask a packer to help me out! I just couldn't get the damn thing in the bag without it inflating on me. Tips? Help?

Thanks to Serg for the service, the riggers/packers at Elsinore for the help with attachment for a totally clueless jumper, and Brian for making a great canopy!
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Airlocked canopies pack the same as non airlocked canopies (1200+ Airlock jumps now;)). It sounds more like issues controlling new slippery fabric then anything else. Where you will have issues is on windy days when the canopy stays inflated and you have issues collapsing it to carry it in. Read the tricks in the BAS manual for those issues.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Airlocked canopies pack the same as non airlocked canopies (1200+ Airlock jumps now;)). It sounds more like issues controlling new slippery fabric then anything else. Where you will have issues is on windy days when the canopy stays inflated and you have issues collapsing it to carry it in. Read the tricks in the BAS manual for those issues.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I had the same problem with my Spectre while it was still in new condition. Damn that slippery fabric!

I guess more practice and I should be golden;)
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Have dealt with several Airlocked canopies in the past and bagging the damn thing/collapsing after landing is as a bit of a challenge, that's for sure, but maybe only for first 20 jumps or so.
The trick is:
take your time squizzing as much air out of the canopy as possible, control the bulk (don't let that sucker to breathe in again) and then proceed as usual.

P/S. Lotus probably is not a swooping machine (have not tried loading it higher than 1.6 though) but definitely a great all around 9 cell main and flies rock solid in any wether condition. Would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

:D:D:D:D

Sorry for the laughs but my Lotus was a real BIOTCH to pack when it was new.
It will get better with practise B|

Cheers!!! :)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!