kevin922

Tivo vs Replaytv?

Hey,

I haven't had the time to really pick apart the two, was wanting to get one for xmas.. not sure what the key diff's are.

It is important to me to be able to schedule stuff remotely, I think tivo does it through their website and it appears replay can do it by connecting directly to the box through your personal firewall.

Anyone done their research on these two?

I didn't research the Replay one, but Tivo wouldn't let my record to a physical DVD disk for archive purposes. That's why I ended up getting a HDD/DVD recorder. I can't run mine remotely, but I bet there's probably one out there that allows it.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Not sure about Replaytv but take a look at This. I have one and it can be programed using Yahoo tv scheduler when in the cradle and hooked up to the TV. best part IMO is that you can take it with you anywhere and watch your show or jack it into a regular TV and watch your show. Playback Quality is very high. I've recorded several DVD movies to it and when played back throguh a tv from the device you are hard pressed to tell the difference. File size for a 2 hr movie runs about 1gb.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have a Tivo (Series2). It has USB ports on the back, so I have a USB network adapter, and connected the Tivo to my Router. Then I configured it to get all the scheduling from the web instead of it dialing out. Its great. It is one of those things that once you have it, you wonder how you ever watched tv without it.

Oh, and if you want to save some $$$, get the 40hour version and then upgrade the harddrive yourself. There's plenty of info online on how to do this.

~Chivo