Viking

Who here does alot of freshwater fishing?

I'm realy starting to miss the fun of fishing. We have some lakes around here with bass and trout in them that i plan on hitting up some time soon.

anyone got any special baits they use for either of these fish?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

My favourite bait used to be, a couple of pounds of fertilizer (nitrate) mixed with 8oz of weed killer an a liberal dose of white sugar
mix with care then stuff tightly in a 2 foot long lead tube seal the end and add a fuse.

Light fuse throw in river/lake an collect fish, cook fish on camp fire, eat fish with a good white wine,

spend the rest of the day sleeping

That's what I call a good days fishing. Pity I can't do it any more got banned for life from freshwater fishing

Gone fishing

Now i heard a read of bunch of stuff about people catching 4 and 5 pound trout on mini jigs. We Rainbows in the lakes i'm able to go to. (Lake Poway, and Lake Dixon)

have you tried The walking worms? Any good or are they just a "As Seen on TV" gimmick?

also in a lake wear 10 pounders are cought every now and then (several a year) would you go with a 15-20 pound line just incase or just chance it with 10lb?

I've seen people take trout on small jigs and spoons - I haven't had any luck with it, though.

Not familiar with the walking worm - I've always just used a weedless-rigged worm.

For myself, I'd stick with 8-10 lb line - if trout or bass see the line, they won't bite. As long as your drag is set to slip a bit, at least initially, and you don't mind playing the fish, I wouldn't think you'd have much problem.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

i use to bass fish alot before i started jumping. in the winter i liked to use larger live bait such as pearch. in the winter the water is colder and the fish's metabolism slows. they usually go deeper, don't move as much, don't eat as much but when they do they seemed to prefer bigger meals.

Hi Viking,
Don't know about Ca., but here in NC, I've had good luck with rubber worms rigged Carolina style or with a spinner in front. Also the "beetle spin" works good too. Near my home here in Sampson County runs the South river and the bass there like a white colored top water plug like a "Rebel." Good luck where ever you go fishing. Catch the Big One!!

Catch Bill Dance and Roland Martin on OLN, they show and tell a lot of good fishing tips too.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Catch Bill Dance and Roland Martin on OLN, they show and tell a lot of good fishing tips too.

when i was a kid i use to watch fishing shows as much or more than i watch jumpin' videos now. one that sticks out in my head is when roland martin and jimmy houston were fishing for peacock bass in central america and roland martin intentionally caught a camen on a top water. it's been so long since i was into fishing that i forget the name of the lure. it was a big top water shaped like the end of a broom stick. you jerked the rod tip downward and it made the lure zig zag across the water on it's way back to ya. i think it was called a 'walk the dog' technique.

I don't know anything about trout, but the largest portion of the bass diet are crayfish. Presenting a jig with a 3" plastic tube or plastic grub seems to do the best job of mimicking a crayfish. YMMV.

Here gos, spinning reels are great for trout, I usually run 6 or 8 lb test line. For a good all around rod I like the ugly stick in about a 5ft-6ft length. For drift fishing rivers I like a 9ft loomis with a small spool Abu Garcia with 12-15 lb test. If I'm plunking the lower columbia I use a 11ft lamiglass with 20lb test and I use spinglows. If I'm just below bonneville dam I use a surf pole with atleast 30lb test and rail road spikes for weights.
To answer your question, I like spinning reels for light tackel, and bait casters for everything else.
What I really like is watching a guy with his first bait caster, very entertaining. Bait casters I think are better with heaver line, I use Abu Garcia because I can get them with a left hand crank. ;)

blue skies

jerry

What I really like is watching a guy with his first bait caster, very entertaining.
blue skies

jerry

you sick bastard, laughing at people who don't know to put there thumb on the spool to slow it down before all the line spins into a huge knot.

nice sportsmanship there buddy

:P:P:D

well i found an old Zebco spincaster in the garage that still works great. I'm gonna change out the line and and replace the old three piece fiber glass rod with a new one piece graphite and use that for a little bit.

Heres another questions for ya. How far do you get on average per cast? on the above mentioned real i'v been getting 15-20 yards out with a i think an 1/16th oz sinker. Not sure what pound line is on the real right now.

no other fishermen/women on the boards?

I love to fish, just didn't have anything original or exciting to add to what's been said above. I have to wait for season in Spring here in PA. It's a ways off.
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

Heres another questions for ya. How far do you get on average per cast? on the above mentioned real i'v been getting 15-20 yards out with a i think an 1/16th oz sinker. Not sure what pound line is on the real right now.

I try my hand at this one for you.;) Cast distance is going to be affected by lure wt, line wt, and rod stiffness. With lighter lures, you need a more flexible fishing rod. More important is the flexibility of the tip. It helps to propel the lure when casting. That is one of the reasons you see pro's with about six or so rods at one time ready to go. Different tools for different jobs. Now, if you were to only have one or two, to handle many different types of fishing etc. Go for a nice 6' med. action rod. It will say the action and the recommended lure wt. right on the rod. Try to get away from the spincast when you can. From my experience they cause a lot of resistance on the line thus limiting your casting distance. If you don't like baitcasters, then get yourself a nice spinning reel. The drag settings and casting ability of both of these far outweigh the cost difference of just using a spincast. Hope that helps in some way. :)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

When I go bass fishing in shallower waters, i use a split shot rig with a 4 inch double tailed grub In watermelon with red flakes, available at any bass pro shops. The bass love the shit out of it.

Cranks are good when you have the right color.

Don't ask me about trout. Ive been trout fishin 3 times and caught NOTHING!! grrr.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Many moons ago I did quite a bit of fishing for stocked rainbows in northern cali, when we used a boat we'd troll threaded nightcrawlers with 3 or 4 spinners. But actually we caught more fishing by the boat ramps near where they unloaded the fish :)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "