denete

Line twists due to a single broken line?

This is a simple "is it possible" question. I am asking because I genuinely don't know the answer.

Would a broken A-line on an outboard cell induce enough canopy rotation to cause significant line twists?

Is it possible to miss such a broken A-line on initial canopy evaluation (SSS)?

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Would a broken A-line on an outboard cell induce enough canopy rotation to cause significant line twists? Is it possible to miss such a broken A-line on initial canopy evaluation (SSS)?

When my Stiletto broke exactly that line, I didn't notice it until I landed. I'm sure interested in hearing of anyone else's experience with something like that.

I've also had an outside a-line come undone (it actually came unfingertrapped because the bartack was missed during line replacement) on my comp cobalt 95. I opened with several line twists but was otherwise unnoticeable during my visual inspection after opening. It otherwise flew straight until after initiating a right front riser 90* turn coming into land, it took additional opposite input to halt the turn.

Broken outside lines are harder to see than inner ones, Especially on elliptical canopies.