Kennedy

Rain Gear

OK, so I'm going to get wet. Not "dunked in a lake" wet, or "caught in an asian monsoon" wet, but the next step down. Maybe "a few miles inland from hurricane landfall" wet.

What I want is something small (not bulky) and something that doesn't make that "swish, swish" noise that all winter coats and ponchos seem to make. Tall sizes would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Bargains are good, function is better. ;)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Depending on what activities you wish to do. I normally wear a ski jacket (only the outer layer of a two piece jacket) and ski pants when I am riding my motorbike in the rain. I make a little bit of noise when walking but it seems to work.

Alternatively you could wear something similar to the drizabone, mind you it is questionable weither or not you look like a git in this and they are expensive.

http://www.australianoutback.com.au/drizabone_coats.html
www.drizabone.com.au

Two words: Gore Tex.

P.S.: How did you get out of Speakers Corner? ;)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Thanks for that, I totally forgot about Gore-tex. That is what my sky pants and jacket are made out of. It does rock.

Has anyone got a windstopper soft shell jacket and can comment on how well it is water resistant? I am thinking of getting one of these for skydiving in winter next year, does anyone use one of these.

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=208051&activityId=10011&genderId=10024&typeId=10020&pagenum=5&categoryId=10024&seed=1103544102640
http://www.gore-tex.com/

Hey dude, i had a gore tex 10X rain suit that i used when fishing tournaments. Worked great but didn't breathe very well. It did make that swishy sound when walking and such.:D I sent it to the Bytch when she was needing camping geat etc. My dad got some FROG TOGS for peacock bass fishing in the amazon and he said they DO LEAK with heavy rains:S With lighter rain it worked fine. Hope that helps.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Goretex is the only way to go if you need breathability. I currently have 2 Columbia jackets that have their version of goretex. I have one that I use skiing and one that I take backpacking. I'm looking to replace one of them with a Microfleece Goretex long jacket. they are building the goretex right into the fleece now so you don't have to layer up near as much.

If I was more worried about staying dry then comfortable I'd get a PVC based rain jacket. The same stuff they make the wadeing fisshing boots out of and commercial fishermen use. Typically the stuff is yellow, but it comes in all colors if you look. You can take a shower with it on and get out bone dry.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, its a Gore membrane, more as a wind barrier than a water barrier (different composition of the fabric). Not real waterproof but makes a hell of a difference to the warmth of a fleece when out in the wind. As an alternate to Goretex, have a look at eVent fabric (sorry don't know who's using it over that side of the pond, Craghoppers use it in the UK, Lowe used to use it until they were told by Gore to stop:S). Its as waterproof but even more breathable. Softshells rock, but only if you're active; they are less waterproof, but more breathable by several orders of magnitude, the theory being that if you're pumping sweat hard the heat/vapour going out negates the water trying to get in (in a hard shell that vapour would be too much for the breathability of Gore, triplepoint, etc so you'ld end up soaked in sweat).

Experience is a series of non-fatal errors.