misskriss

Double yolked eggs

I went to Chicago for New Years to be with my sweetie and for breakfast on New Year's Day we decided to have scrambled eggs, etc. He began cracking open the eggs and the first one had a double yolk. Then the second..double yolk as well. Same for the third. At that point I thought he was somehow doing it so I cracked open up the next two. Both of them double yolks as well----this has to be a sign of good luck, fertility or an interesting chicken. Anyone know about the folklore behind this or if it's really a common occurence. It was the first time I had ever seen a double yolked egg let alone five!!

edit.. they were organic, free roaming, cage free , no antibiotics, etc... so they said.

Could be a mutant chicken and they lied.

That is really cool!

I love getting double-yolked eggs, but unfortunately it's happened pretty rarely.

I rank them up there with peanuts that have three nuts in one shell -- awesome!! :)
Now, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the yolk is the part that turns into a chick, so two yolks doesn't necessarily mean two chicks would have developed from that egg. Is that right? Or do two yolks signify two embryos being in there?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Now, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the yolk is the part that turns into a chick, so two yolks doesn't necessarily mean two chicks would have developed from that egg. Is that right? Or do two yolks signify two embryos being in there?

-Jeffrey

Two chicks would have developed if the egg had been fertilized...mine were, and look what happened to me!! :$:ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Two yolks in an egg are the same as when a woman ovulates 2 eggs instead of one. With people, if two eggs are ovulated, one or both may be fertilized, but it would require two separate sperm to fertilize them. I would imagine it's the same for chickens. The yolk gets fertilized then the shell forms later.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail