Eiley

Extreme Sports Participants = Business Moguls

Found an interesting article called Capitalists on Steroids here: http://www.city-journal.org/html/15_1_capitalists.html

A couple of quotes from the article:

Bill Rancic, who as the winner of the first season of The Apprentice, is now overseeing construction of a 90-story Trump building in Chicago, as “an adventure junkie. When he is not making business deals, he enjoys skydiving and scuba diving.”

Is this true? Where does he jump?

According to BusinessWeek, men at the top of the heap are giving up golf for sports that get their testosterone rushing, like heli-skiing and surfing. “Extreme-sports participants are often managers, executives, owners of companies,” a Hartford Life manager who insures people with risky hobbies explains. “They’ve got an air of invulnerability. . . . ”

Not sure about this one... One thing I've noticed is that skydivers come in all shapes and sizes - it is the great leveller, because the surgeon/CEO may well be taking advice from the unemployed swoop guru.

nothing to see here

Hey Eiley! How are ya? B|

Is this true? Where does he jump?

I don't think Bill Rancic is a licensed skydiver...it seems that he's done a few tandems. He did a tandem at Skydive Chicago this past summer with the Golden Knights. Here's their weekly newletter with pictures of him with Missy and Rook:

http://www.skydivechicago.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=860

On the subject of adventurous and extreme sport business moguls...have you heard about or seen the Richard Branson version of The Apprentice? It's a Fox show called The Rebel Billionaire. Very entertaining. :)
_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

When I started skydiving, and even later when I started BASE jumping, the word, "extreme" wasn't in the national lexicon when it came to sports. Using the X moniker started as nothing more than a corporate way to make a bucks off the rubes.

But, what's really wrong with it is it belittles the accomplishments of a whole generation of curious and courageous people that are building on the accomplishments of the generation that came before. TV shows like, "Maximum Exposure" (want to bet they didn't pick that name because it contained two X's) degrade us all rather than celebrate what the human spirit is capable of doing.

"Let's look at that again, closer and slower!"

"Oh dude, that's gotta hurt!"

Oh gag me, is there anyone who wants to punch that Max X narrator in the nose as much as I do?

NickD :)BASE 194