eightate8at8

Finding the right altimeter..

I need some help/advice on acquiring the right altimeter.

I would really like to go digital; Although all I'm worried about right now is altitude readout, I'm positive that in the near future I'll like all the other data too.

I've been looking at a few, some incredibly popular some not. If you guys could give me some feedback on a wise decision, I'd appreciate it.

One question I have, as I have not seen all of these in person. They do all show a LARGE alti readout while in freefall, right?

Viso Pro Dytter
http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=82_290&products_id=352

Neptune 2
http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=82_449&sort=products_sort_order&page=1

Neptune wave
http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=79_282&sort=products_sort_order&page=1

You guys probably don't need links but I have them up anyway.
What is the main difference between the Neptune 2 and wave?

If you have any other suggestions feel free. One could always play it safe with a galaxy..

One question I have, as I have not seen all of these in person. They do all show a LARGE alti readout while in freefall, right?

Viso Pro Dytter
http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=82_290&products_id=352

I've only played with the Viso, and yes, it has a large digital read-out, horizontally.

http://www.l-and-b.dk/viso.html

L&B also makes some fancy gloves that have a pocket for the viso on your hand, so you dont have to fuss with a wrist strap. I'm sure alti2 has something similar.

If you have any other suggestions feel free. One could always play it safe with a galaxy..

I like the digital bits for a helmet mounted audible. However, I prefer something without batteries on my wrist.
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

The wave is a beeper only, no visual readout.

I'd buy a neptune if I were you, use it as a beeper (set 500ft LOWER than you're planned brake-off altitude) and get an analog alti for your wrist as these are more reliable and tougher - can you handle the digital not working in freefall and can you land on your feet all the time yet, not roll over your expensive new toy, not bump it on exit? They can't handle much bumping, while an analog can.

Later on you in your jumping career you may decide to get another beeper and start using the neptune on your wrist, or maybe not. But you'll have the option then, when you're ready for it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

For the time being I only have the budget for one alti..

I just really like digital, maybe it's cause im young and tech savvy but.. I guess going analog has its cons.

Say if i went with the Viso, has that on my wrist. Is it bad to rely on just that? I mean, for any of us if an alti failed we'd still be able to pull at a similiar-to-wanted altitude so it's not the end of the world..

We just had a whole thread regarding digital alti's for newbies. Some are for, some are against. Looks like our national rules may change to include a rule about not getting a digital alti right off the bat, only after something like 100 jumps or B license.
Fact of the matter is, digital altis fail way more often than analogs and that's even without the bumping a beginner jumper will be sure to put it through. A altimaster3 will last you 25 years, digital altis we've had fail quite often even in their first year. Your money, your safety, your choice, or maybe your instructor's, did you check that yet?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A altimaster3 will last you 25 years, digital altis we've had fail quite often even in their first year. Your money, your safety, your choice

I completely agree. Even if you go digital in 100 jumps, that analog in your gearbag will get plenty of use over the years as a backup. Just watch the velcro... I'd still be using my first altimaster 3 if it didn't fall off my hand in freefall a few years ago due to worn velcro. But the glow-in-the-dark galaxy I replaced it with has made night jumps much more enjoyable. No more digital altimeters at night for me... had the back lights fail (due to low batteries... my fault) on night RW jumps twice. Night jumps with no altimeter suck. Especially when your partner can't read her altimeter either.

Dave

Here's the thread for the recent discussion on VISO altis. I'm a new jumper and got a VISO upon completion of AFF and after the digital vs. analog discussion with my instructor. I'm happy with it but think I'd be equally happy with an analog. The logging features of the digital altis is nice.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I had a mechanical alti that was stolen and I replaced it with a Neptune because I wanted a digital log book & more granular altitude for canopy flight. I couldn't really afford to get both when I replaced my stolen alti.

My plan had always been to keep the mechanical alti for free fall & then get a digital for canopy & use both. I had an audible as well (also stolen) which had free fall and canopy alarms.

My intention is to get another mechanical alti and replace my audible as well and go back to the original plan but I can't do that right away.

The digital is good, I definitely like the granularity but it's certainly not as straight forward as a mechanical alti & could lead to confusion IMO.

I had a mechanical alti that was stolen and I replaced it with a Neptune because I wanted a digital log book & more granular altitude for canopy flight. I couldn't really afford to get both when I replaced my stolen alti.

My plan had always been to keep the mechanical alti for free fall & then get a digital for canopy & use both. I had an audible as well (also stolen) which had free fall and canopy alarms.

Good plan! Its nice to have an analog altimeter when your digital one shows the finger.

That's a whole 'nother can of worms ;)

A suunto is not an alti, it's not marketed as one, it can be very easily bumped out of alti mode, it needs resetting quite often, it's not easily readable in freefall, all in all it's a nice toy for experienced jumpers but no way is it suitable for your jump numbers. And even most experienced jumpers seem to shy away from alti watches now that neptunes and the like are common. I know i sold mine pronto for one of the first neptunes!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I got a VISO at 30 jumps and absolutely love it. Not only because of the logging ability, but for me, reading a digital readout is MUCH easier than an analog. Not to mention I can fine tune my landing pattern start and turn points with the digital readout below 1000 ft. The VISO is also really easy to use, the controls are easy to learn and what not. Anyways thats what I am using.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

I agree. A lot of folks knock digitals for newbies but if you have a full head on your shoulders, read the manual and take time to learn how the device works it's not hard to figure out. The important thing being that you do in fact take the time to read the manual and learn the device to a point of being a anal about it. The VISO has some particulars about it as I'm sure any digital alti has so it's not straight forward like an analog.

When I asked my instructor about a digital or alti he basically told me after some discussion that either is fine. I started using my VISO on jump 8 right after I finished AFF.

Still opinions vary and I'm not knocking those who say that newbies shouldn't use digital altimeters.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I have no clue about the others, I just went off the recommendations from the instructors at my DZ. A couple of them use VISO's and not only say good things about the product, but say the customer service by L&B is phenomenal.

-Evo
Zoo Crew