linebckr83

Safire 1/2 "real vs. listed" size

Does anyone know if Icarus has switched to PD's measurement system yet, and if so, when they did? A friend of mine has a Safire 2 and we are curious if the placard size was measure with their system or the current PD method.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Wow nevermind. It seems that the Saphire 2 was done with PD measurements, while the Saphire 1 was the other method that adds about 8% to the real size. Question answered! :$

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I e-mailed Icarus and explained that this had been talked about here and if they could give me a reply that I could post so here is Icarus's reply

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com
Kirk
He's dead Jim

According Paragear catalog canopy comparison chart page 285, Icarus canopies indicated size is matching the actual size while the PD Sabre indicated size is slightly smaller than the actual one. But read the notice at the bottom of the page. Also Icarus Safire uses Vectran lines which is thinner than Spectra lines used on the PD Sabre lines therefore reducing slightly the packing size.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.