glgflyer

Soft Links Question

PD makes soft links for Reserves and soft links for mains. My question is: what is the difference? I know one is longer than the other, but why? The thing that led to this question is this. I was looking thru some of my old gear around the house and noticed that one of my old main canopies (not being jumped) has a set of PD SR-1 reserve soft links installed on it. I have no clue how or when it happened. Is it ok to jump this canopy with reserve links on it? Some insight on reserve and main slinks would be appreciated. Thanks.

not a rigger so correct me if im wrong...

the reserve slinks are longer and fatter due to the reserve lines being fatter Dacron lines rather than micro-line or whatever name you want to give it at the moment. personally i would jump the main with reserve slinks on it if it seems to fit right, if it set itself by being jumped that way a bunch of times its fine. but as a precaution i would probably tac down the RSlink even though i dont do it on my main slinks. but take that advice for whats its worth, its on the internet....
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

PD reserve soft links(SR-1) are made from Spectra 1500 lbs and they are approved under T.S.O C23d.You can jump them with your main.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

...longer and fatter due to the reserve lines being fatter Dacron lines rather than micro-line...

Actually, I think it has do to with the risers moreso than lines. PD reserves come with Spectra (microline) so there wouldn't be a difference from the main; however, many people jump mini risers, therefore the Slinks can be shorter on the main. Reserve risers are wider.

I wonder if it would be better to use reserve links with large risers? When i was connecting my main to the risers(large) it was a PITA trying to use the regular Slinks.
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

I wonder if it would be better to use reserve links with large risers? When i was connecting my main to the risers(large) it was a PITA trying to use the regular Slinks.

That's what I have: wide (Type 8) risers, Reserve Slinks, and Slink Covers. No problem with reserve slinks length. I don't know if shorter main Slinks would be long enought to wrap around all of this.