skycat

Saved by growing up in North Dakota

So on our way to CA in the middle of NV at about 4 am I recognized glare ice on the road because I knew the signs from when I was growing up so at the next exit I pulled off the road to nap until the sun came up and I'm glad I did.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2005/jan/26/012610083.html

Now I won't bring up the detour we decided to take to get around the accident. :S
Fly it like you stole it!

We saw PLENTY of that on the drive from Eloy to Seattle... via Las Vegas to Tonopah... to Reno to Susanville CA then up to Klamath Falls to Maupin OR ( ICE FOG with barbed wire fences 2" in diameter and the road slicker than snot going down into the Deschutes River Canyon... eeekkk) From K FAlls to Bend OR it was all packed Ice and snow.. and driving the 40' motorhome was a REALLLLL Joy in that crap.

Help a southern girl out. What's "glare ice"?

It's a very thin smooth layer of ice cuased by things like freezing fog or drizzle that looks black on the road, the only way to see it is by the reflection of the car infront of you on the ground, or in my case since it was night, the reflection of the car infront of me's lights. It's really hard to see, which is why so many people get into trouble.

Windcatcher - I hate being cold too, so Denver was a good compromise. It's almost always nice, and when it is cold and crappy I know the snowboarding will me good. B|

***Shhh! Don't let people know just how nice the weather is here. We got enough of a crowd. Let people think it's freezing here over half the year.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm from Minnesota and it ABSOLUTELY drives me nutz to see all the accidents caused by people who simply just can not drive in the rain or snow!!! It also bothers me that the cities don't do a better job preparing for it. Hell, we'll watch the weatherman for a week tell us it's going to snow; but, no salt or dirt on the roads until we're 4 hours into a blizzard!B|

Unsatisfactory!!!

I'm done, now, carry on...:D

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

hehehe....where in MN are you? Some places are better than others, the farther north you go the better the locals are at driving on snow and ice, mostly cause they drive on it 9 months out of the year.

When I was younger they didn't put anything on the road until after the blizzard cause the rule of thumb was, if it's bad enough to close the highway you shouldn't be on the road anyway.:D