GravityGirl

Computer Help!!!!

One by one, some of my most visited web sites are becoming inaccessible.

I may have some kind of spywear.

I'll type in the address, the screen will go blank and freeze. Yesterday it was Aerodyne and Performance Designs. Today it is my bank and another supplier.

There is nothing wrong with their web sites.

Anyone know what the hell might be happening?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Couple of things.

1. Clean out your temp files and cookies.

2. run some spyware programs.

3. run your virus program, make sure it's up to date.

4. patch windows with the security updates. They just posted on 2 days ago I believe.

5. may want to defrag your hdd

Just some ideas you may want to persue to see if it frees up those websites.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I have this conspiracty theory about the anti-spyware programs. But I guess push is now coming to shove, and I'll have to give in.

How do I go about doing it in a safe manner.

And don't say with a condom!

conspiracy theory about anti-spyware? What would that be? If you have spyware, then you already have a conspiracy on your computer to make it send information without your knowledge.

Spybot and Ad-Aware are safe and very good tools. Everyone should have them. Go to google, type in spybot and download it. Then run. That is it. (you can also get them at software site like Download.com and Tucows.com)

Do all of that while wearing a condom ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I have this conspiracty theory about the anti-spyware programs. But I guess push is now coming to shove, and I'll have to give in.

How do I go about doing it in a safe manner.

And don't say with a condom!

You can trust 9/10 programs that are on www.downloads.com. Just read the user reviews and stick with the ones with the best ratings from users and C|Net.

Search there for Ad-Aware and Search & Destroy. You can't go wrong with both of those on your system.

If you have Win XP get the new mal-ware removal tool. Also, make sure you update your version of windows to close up any security holes.

I have enough MS on my system as it is. No more Microssoft unless absolutely necessary. Trusting Microsoft to keep spyware off my machine? From the company that puts out CRITICAL updates and security fixes almost daily? No thanks.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

There is always the alternative of switching from Micro$oft based systems and moving toward open source solutions, such as Linux, FreeBSD, and other *nix operating systems and applications which are not vulnerable to many of the frustrations that plague windows users including, but not limited to:
frequent crashes
the need for frequent reinstalls
lousy security
spyware
viruses
easily cracked passwords
'unintentional' file sharing
the need for many third party programs to plug security holes that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The traditional disadvantage has been the learning curve to the new operating system, however many versions of linux are now very user friendly, support a plethora of hardware, are very affordable and it has become much easier to locate educated support.

The traditional advantages still hold true. It's a much faster operating system, security in bulit in from the ground up, and being open source, it's very flexible.

It's something to consider... ;-)

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Yeap :-) Actually it's based (to a point) on FreeBSD and NeXT. I remember showing up a MacOS X cram session a few years ago when the local Mac Consultants group wanted to get their Mac OS X certifications and I was invited to speak on unix. The first question was "what kind of fonts do you have in unix?" I had to hold back a chuckle, but by the end of the session everyone had a beginner's grasp on the basic concepts and could navigate the command line just fine. I felt bad for them when words like "alias" meant something different than they'd previously been taught....

MacOS X is a great OS though, I've run a few MacOS X servers and been quite happy :-)
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

to be _really_ accurate, it should be:

find / -type jumpers -name * -print | less attitude | cat - `echo $USERNAME` > manifest ......

find / -type jumpers -name * -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

May be more accurate ;)

Too Cool!!!B|

I want a license plate that says "/dev/car"

find / -type jumpers -name * -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Oh ewwww. I actually understand that!

Now this GUI MS shit is a whole nuther world. It's driving me ape shit!

Jeff you don't do MS do you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!