kallend

Download accelerators?

Does anyone have any experience?

I've been trying some of these. Right now Internet Download Manager (IDM) seems to be doing a good job. I tried one called Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) which Adaware and Microsoft Antispyware said was OK, but it didn't do a good job and refused to uninstall (eventually I had to go into Regedit and get rid of it manually). Spybot S&D reckoned it is spyware, too, but couldn't get rid of it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

From my understanding a download accelerator for dial up works only on pages you have been to before. The ones I used to work with were hyped up version of a cache.

From my understanding a download accelerator for dial up works only on pages you have been to before. The ones I used to work with were hyped up version of a cache.

I'm not using dial up. IDM seems to work just fine on new stuff

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've used Fourelle Venturi. It seemed to work OK but had a few problems - mainly it messed with the dormant/active cycling of the wireless card. When running I got noticeably faster speeds on web pages. When downloading precompressed things like images and videos, there was no improvement (of course.)

I had some success with an earlier version of Download Accelerator, but only used it to speed up the download of larger files.

Now though it just seems like too much of a hassle, so I don't bother with anything (plus my net connections are fast enough it really doesn't matter).

I've only used DAP and didn't really find that much of a speed increase. However I have a really crappy connection and found it useful as a queue manager, I can't handle sumultaneous downloads so I just queue and schedule them to start at night when the calls are cheaper. I used it so rarely, mainly for drivers and skydiving clip downloads, that I don't really bother any more. I can't remember now if it was adware supported or not, but it's likely it is. KGet is pretty good in Linux.