PLFSOS

Problems Caused by Yoke?

Hi all, I'm purchasing a used Rig soon and need a little Help With the Yoke. If the Manufacture Is willing to resize the Harness for my size would the yoke size cause a lot of problems If to small or to large. (even by 1 size) And if so, What problems might I run into. Would they be comfort Issues or Safety ones.
If some one Could please Shed some light on this for me it be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks, Blue Sky's

you would be better off buying a second hand rig that is your size or similar.

but even if you resize a harness, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the yoke as they are all quite standard right through all the different sizes.

how big/small are you?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The biggest concern is that if the yoke is too big, even after the resizing and with the chest strap cinched down, that the harness could slip over/off/down your shoulder(s) either in freefall or on opening. Too small a yoke be a bit uncomfortable.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I cant speak for all the manufactures out there but not all yoke sizes are the same through the size ranges. the size of the yoke is determined by the girth of the person for whom the rig was originally measured.
If for example, the rig is a D yoke Javelin with a 19" MLW, shortening the lift web by 3" for some one who should be in a B yoke will in effect cause the Large ring on the harness to sit too low on the jumper resulting in the jumper being placed into a laid back position under canopy. This in turn may affect how the jumper flys the canopy but, thats not the real concern here
Being laid back in that fashion changes the way the harness loads during opening and "could" cause damage to the upper 4 point stitch. This is obviously a big deal that should be avoided.
If however the yoke is a A yoke, a jumper who should be in a C yoke will be VERY uncomfortable wearing the rig and most likley, the chest strap will be way too short. Aside from the comfort level, and the chest strap. I don't see any saftey issue with it. It will just suck to jump

Thank you that is a big help. The container is 1 size small so if it doesn't fit off the bat. I'm just gonna send it away to the Manufacture to have re-harnessed, And hopefully it will resolve Any issues I might have. I'm gonna stay away from rigs that are too large as well. I've Been looking for a rig for a while so i hope it works out. If Not there's always more out there. Thanks Again

I didn't know all that, i have seen many rigs and never noticed a great difference in the yokes. I suppose the size of the yoke is determined by the manufacturer, given the customers measurements?

thanks for that.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The problem with lengthening a MLW with a short yoke is that the rings may sit too high up on your shoulder. It probably won’t be a safety issue but you may find too rings too hight on the shoulder will lead to the rig being uncomfortable under canopy. This is due to the jumper feeling as if he or she is leaning forward in the harness. This places the jumpers body weight towards the front of the leg straps and the front of the legs and crotch instead of the jumpers thighs and ass.
Some years ago, a prominent manufacture experimented with this as a way to aid canopy flight. His thinking was that it would put the jumper in "centered" position under canopy and therefore, allow for better control during flight.
All it did in reality was make for a very uncomfortable canopy ride.
-K