txhoss

Bridal Extension Picture?

Does anyone have a picture of the bridal extension that has been completed to make Psyco packing easier?

I currently Psyco pack my main but have a new rig that will be put together Tuesday and would like to see if I can get my rigger to do it during the rig setup. The problem is that no one at me DZ Psyco packs so he is unsure of what I am talking about with the extention. A picture certainly would be worth a thousand words I am sure.

Thanks in advance.

Have Rig will travel ...

Here's mine, it works well. It's just 3/4 inch binding tape, sewn into a big loop, with a small loop on one end, and a bigger loop on the other.Make sure the big loop end has a loop big enough for the hackey to fit through easy, the other end can be much smaller. It's about a foot long.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

3/4" binding tape is about 400lbs mbs no? Compared to the breaking strength of the bridle material isn't this a little on the weak side? Especially when it starts to wear? Of course it would only result in a freebag - dbag but still...

-Michael

3/4" binding tape is about 400lbs mbs no? Compared to the breaking strength of the bridle material isn't this a little on the weak side? Especially when it starts to wear? Of course it would only result in a freebag - dbag but still...

If it was me I would use 3/4" square weave at 1000 pounds, but hey, maybe Chris can maybe get back with us after a certain number of jumps and let us know about the wear. And then there is the stitching. Depends on how that is done.

I only have about 120 jumps on it so far, I'm sure my stitching is horrible. I'll order some 3/4 inch square weave when I order my new Slinks, in case I need to replace it. At ISA Paula used pull up cords to hook the d-bag to the canopy with. The idea was that if someone was to hook it up wrong when switching over from freefall to S/L, the pull up cord would break. My friends were on a load at Rantoul where a jumpers pilot chute caught the side of the CASA on exit and deployed his main. As far as we know it broke the bridle, but I would rather have something I know would give before the canopy, if that was to happen to me.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

built in failure points are a good thing. Like pointed out above it would be nice for the bridle to break from the top attachment point if you hung up on something.

BASE canopy bridle attachment points have built in 550lbs failure point (I know of at least one jumper who survived a locked bridle on a static line jump)

While I don't feel that there is anything specifically that unsafe about what was done I do feel that if the rig manufacturer who has way more test jumps, engineers and more expertise than all of us felt it was necessary to increase the safety they would have designed the bridle with a weak point.

On a normal deployment 150-200 pounds of force is applied to the bridle. Start wearing that piece of 3/8 tape and it could break on you. I saw an improperly attached d-bag fly away at the gan boogie this year. The jumper didn't realize it was gone until people were talking about it and he noticed... still cost him $250 and his jumping was finished.

In the BASE instance mentioned above this is for a static line deployment that is intended to break. Strikes me as a good idea to have a secondary weak point if the SL attachment (shopping bag??? :) does not break. Not in any way related to SL deployment from an AC.

-Michael