cpoxon

News: Man dies after plunging 6 meters from virtual skydiving ride

I had posted this in the Wind Tunnels forum as I mistakenly had the impression that it was related until Paulipod pointed out that it wasn't. Still worth mentioning though I think, since it is ironic that most people who go on the ride probably do so because they consider skydiving too dangerous! :-S

From http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20050418p2a00m0dm015000c.html

A man died on Monday after plunging about six meters from a ride in Tokyo that allows users to experience virtual skydiving, police said.

The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) is investigating the cause of the accident that occurred at Tokyo Joypolis, an indoor amusement center situated in Decks Tokyo Beach in the Daiba district of Minato-ku.

At around 1 p.m., a 30-year-old man plunged some six meters from "Viva! Skydiving," equipment at Tokyo Joypolis, according to investigators. He was rushed to hospital where he died shortly afterwards.

Viva! Skydiving, with seating capacity for six, allows riders to experience virtual skydiving, and goes up and down about 13 meters between the fifth and third floors of the facility. Three other men on the ride were not injured.

Tokyo Joypolis is operated by Sega Corp., a computer game company. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, April 18, 2005)

Edit to add quote
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

It is probably like the Gasp at Six Flags Atlanta. A tall structure that lifts a "parachute" attached to a bench several stories then drops you inflating the parachute before coming to rest again on the ground.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I actually rode this ride in February. It was actually incredibly lame and I'm completely befuddled how anyone could fall out!

Basically you sit in a seat and strap in you securely like you would be on a roller coaster. The whole arcade is virtual reality - there's this screen you're looking at during the ride and there is noise and wind and stuff....

But basically it just tows you up a ways and if I remember correctly you're facing down, and it drops you and raises you a bunch of time while they show airplanes flying by (lots of near misses) and blow wind in your face and you basically just go up and down a lot. It was quite goofy (one of the most boring rides in the place - the snowboarding one was WAY cooler).

All I can figure is this guy was trying to escape the harness cuz you're strapped in like on a roller coaster.. Either that or it wasn't latched to begin with and the operator didn't notice.

This facility is completely indoors FYI - in a shopping mall.

W

This is a much smaller ride than the bigger and more exciting freefall ride I was on almost 10 years ago. However, if I never went on one of these types of rides, I wouldn't be starting skydiving!

Back in 1996, I went on a virtual skydiving type of ride at Canada's Wonderland near Toronto called the "Extreme SkyFlyer". That one was 150 feet high, much higher than the indoor version.

It cinched my decision to try skydiving. B|

My first tandem was 1997. This month, I am starting my PFF course. Have always wanted to try doing that. Maybe I'll get to 100 jumps by September. Wish me (and my wallet) luck!

I just wanted to add my two cents -- that there are people who has been convinced to try skydiving as a result of freefall type of rides!

Mind you, to stay on topic, it is unfortunate to hear that someone has gotten killed on this type of ride.

Yeah - I think I'd like the outdoor sorts of rides - this one was just very weird - extremely jerky getting thrown up and down - I just wanted it to be over because half the time you were just dangling there...

The outdoor version sounds MUCH better.. This amusement area had cool stuff too - an indoor roller coaster, snowboarding where you strap in to like a giant swing with a snowboard on your feet - ya go really high and can turn around and do stuff. They had a bobsled game as well among other stuff. But the skydiving one was just bizarre. Definitely the worst ride that I did in the place. Just very "jerky" - not particularly fun.

It was actually incredibly lame and I'm completely befuddled how anyone could fall out!

The latest report says the man was wheelchair bound and the police suspect operator negligence

Apr. 18th, 2005 -- A wheelchair-bound man was killed at the Tokyo Joypolis amusement park when he slipped out of a virtual skydiving ride and fell 20 feet. The ride, called Viva Skydiving, carries six guests up and down about 43 feet to simulate the skydiving experience.

Police suspect ride operator negligence in the man's death, saying that the ride operators were aware the man was riding without a seat belt or any other kind of restraint.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live