taylor.freefall

Helmet Painting.

How are you planning to paint it? Brush? Airbrush? Spray can? It makes a difference...

If using an airbrush, use Createx AutoAir - you can spray it right over top of the existing clear (just clean the helmet first...) and then just spray another clear over the paint job. I use it on my motorcross helmets and have never had a problem with it.

If you just want pinstriping, I've used One Shot urethane paints with good success.

My suggestion is visit a local art store or an auto paint shop. They can point you in the right direction.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." Da Vinci

The motorcycle helmets you’re thinking of were probably the "soft shell" style that were popular a few years back. The idea was, if the shell was made from a soft compound, it would absorb some of the shock from impact.

Most finishes are solvent based and give off gasses as they cure. Some of this "off gassing" occurs long after the finish is dry. Certain soft shell compounds deteriorated as a result of this off gassing.

Carbon fiber is like fiberglass in that it uses either Polyester or Acrylic resign to bond a "fiber" based cloth or matt. The shiny surface of a carbon fiber helmet is usually gel coat (clear or colored). It's sprayed into the mold first; before the fiber is laid up and is what you see when the part is removed from the mold.

Gel Coat can be sanded and polished to a high finish. Also, gel coats can be painted with any of a number of finishes as long as it is prepped correctly. They are not (normally) affected by off gassing. Anybody with any "auto painting" experience can help you out. Imron or other catalyzed polymers can be used, as stated above. However, just applying a quality clear coat will do the trick for a lot less $$$.

One last thing, these types of finishes can be expensive and require highly skilled professionals to get the job done right. Any catalyzed polymers give off dangerous gasses and require specialized safety equipment.

If you want to do the job yourself, some auto paint suppliers will mix paint and put it into spray cans for you. Or, use the stock, off the shelf, paint that they also sell.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."