Cinders

Buying gear with set budget, how much per piece?

$4000, looking to get used gear (190 or 210 main). Need full rig. How much should I allot to each item? Container should cost roughy X and main should cost Y, etc.

Trying to balance out everything, no joy with full rig. Containers seem to cost the most, more so than a used main, is that right? Should I shoot for spending $3000 and save some more and buy the best AAD I can afford and that becomes my life partner, moving rig to rig with me over time?

Thanks

$4000 is a very reasonable budget for nice, low-jump good quality gear. You may end up spending even less if you wait it out.

you will get a better deal 99% of the time by buying a complete rig, rather than pieces parts. The only problem you may have if you are not "average" sized. Most gear on the market is for peopel 5'8" to 6'1" give or take. at 6'4" 230 you will have a harder time finding gear...

don't give up

PS from what I see, you usually get a better deal buying a container with a reserve rather than a container alone.

Check your PM's. You can buy a complete brand new rig for about that budget, or you could at least purchase a custom amde container, good second hand AAD, brand new reserve and second hand canopy.

$4200 you could get a complete brand new rig, main and reserve with all the popular options and pay it off over three months while it is being built.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Check your PM's. You can buy a complete brand new rig for about that budget, or you could at least purchase a custom amde container, good second hand AAD, brand new reserve and second hand canopy.

$4200 you could get a complete brand new rig, main and reserve with all the popular options and pay it off over three months while it is being built.

Although you'd spend $1200 - $1500 more than if you put the same amount of money into a complete used rig and made 4-5 jumps a weekend some place that charged $25/jump for rental equipment

I put together my first rig for $1300. (I'm on a budget though, college student).

Seems to me most of the stuff I looked at:

A used reserve fell somewhere in the $600 (last 10 years)

A used main about $1200

A newer container will probably run you about $1500-$1600, but there are plenty of good ones for about $900.

Of course these are rough estimates and any dealer on here is more than welcome to correct me. But I have been looking for gear for the last few months, just what I noticed anyways.
"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"

Although you'd spend $1200 - $1500 more than if you put the same amount of money into a complete used rig and made 4-5 jumps a weekend some place that charged $25/jump for rental equipment

There is alot of ways to look at mate as you know. I was just letting her know of another options the poster had.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Where? From what I've seen when checking prices, it's something like $2000 for a container, $2000 for a main, $1000 for a reserve, and $1000 for an AAD. Where are you seeing $4200?

I own karnagekrew.com. MY price was not including AAD. An AAD is just under the $1450 mark with the euro the way it is at the moment. It was including options, hip ring, assembly and shipping in the USA though. My example was based on an Icon, pilot and smart.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Where? From what I've seen when checking prices, it's something like $2000 for a container, $2000 for a main, $1000 for a reserve, and $1000 for an AAD. Where are you seeing $4200?

The prices you're seeing are retail prices - go through a local dealer if you can, and you'll find the prices referred-to. Most dealers (as I understand it) can get you somewhere between 20%-30% off the retail price, plus a local can make sure you get measured correctly.

You absolutely do not have to spend 4 grand to get a great rig. A friend of mind found a used Javelin with everything (Hip & Chest rings, full stainless, main, reserve, and AAD) for about $3000. Deals are out there to be had, but you have to be vigilant and keep your eyes open.

Hope you find a great deal!

(Or a series of great deals!)
T.I.N.S.

The prices you're seeing are retail prices - go through a local dealer if you can, and you'll find the prices referred-to. Most dealers (as I understand it) can get you somewhere between 20%-30% off the retail price, plus a local can make sure you get measured correctly.

You absolutely do not have to spend 4 grand to get a great rig. A friend of mind found a used Javelin with everything (Hip & Chest rings, full stainless, main, reserve, and AAD) for about $3000. Deals are out there to be had, but you have to be vigilant and keep your eyes open.

Hope you find a great deal!

(Or a series of great deals!)

That is about the sum of it.

However I have to say that going to a local dealer for measurments is not that important as the manufacturers are very good at picking mistakes up and with a series of photos for the customer they do good.

However, even as a online distributor-who has staff in a couple of countries, I have to say that going to your local DZ distributor is the first place you should go when considering the purchase of a rig.

A local dealer has alot of overheads and they give good prices at the same time and are there on that dropzone so you can skydive. When you lose a hook knife, when you break rubberbands, when you need a patch or some new googles etc you go and see your local dealer at the dz shop, so also go and see them for your gear and dont be affraid to pay a bit extra. These guys have some hard times staying alive in the business and they count on rig sales to stay open and you count on them to stay open so you can buy all the small stuff at a moments notice so your day is not ruined. They are their providing people a service and most people never think about that. So i say always go to your local dealer on your local dropzone and support them so they stay open to keep supplying you with the small stuff.

However, if you dont have a dz shop, then dont be affraid to buy online, we all sell the same thing and dont be affraid of your measurments. I am one of Aerodynes largest distributors by volume and never has a customer sent a rig back because of measurments. never. Also, online dealers usually give you instant attention and very fast response., even when they are not at the dz shop so to speak. For example all emails come to my iphone if im in bed and i find myself up at 3am every day helping someone out. So dont be affraid but if you have a dz shop i suggest you go there so they can stay alive when you need a hooke knife or you can jump after driving hours to the dropzone.

Just my .79 cents.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store