funfall

I need tips for proper Factory Diver helmet fit.

Any Factory Diver helmet owners out there who can describe what a proper fit is like? In particular, how should the chin/mouth piece fit and feel? (where snug, touching/not touching, level of mouth/nose, etc.) Are any clear close up photos available?

I'm trying to choose between 2 sizes - definitely different, but without a clear winner. I know how to tighten the velcro strap, so that's not the question.

OK, I'll ask this way-

For best fogging prevention and comfort, how should the mouth and nose fit in the helmet? Should the lips be against the padding when relaxed, or can there be a space?

I assume the nostrils are open to the air under the visor. Does it matter if the nose is well above, or pressed a little by the padding above the mouth?

If you want to add something about how much I should be able to wiggle the helmet on my head, or anything else about comfort/fit, feel free. The L and XL seem to fit just the same around my head, just different around the mouth and nose.

Thanks for any tips.

General fit should be snug. Not so snug that you feel like you're beating your head agaisn't the wall the moment you put it on, but snug enough that when someone kicks you, or takes you out a little in freefall that it comes dislodged.

As for where the mouth thing should line up...

I jump in WI were it can get a little cold in the winter so the following advice is from my own experience.

You want the mouth piece to be close enough to your mouth so that when you sort of pucker and stick out your lips, they at least touch the mouth hole. This is especially important if you're jumping somewhere were it gets cold in winter. I always make sure to breath in through my nose (taking the warm air caught in my helmet and having cold air sucked in) and out through my mouth (getting rid of the warm air). This helps to keep the air temps inside and outside more close to preventing the fogging that occurs when you have hot air and cold air mix.

You could also ask any doctors that you know if they can get you one of the plastic butt plug things they use during colonoscopies (maybe ask for a new one:D). They fit perfecting inside the Sky System hold and help prevent the air you breath out from going through the foam, but instead out through the mouth hole.

Other things to keep in mind/do to help prevent fogging in winter:
* Never ride to altitude with the helmet propt on your head. You're just filling your helmet with the bad warm air that will cause fogging when you exit.

* Don't talk with your helmet on. The bad warm air will escape into the helmet, again, which may cause fogging. It takes me all summer to remember to shout the count, and all winter to get back in the habit of not shouting the count.

Make sure you do the in through the nose, out through the mouth all the way to the ground (and especially under canopy).

Hope that helps some.

Sky Systems should be able to give you great info. If you get something from them, please post it here so if the question comes up again, since everybody uses the search function here before they post;) it will save them time.

Thanks very much! You've answered many of my questions - even some I hadn't asked! It will all be helpful. But even if it's a fresh new butt plug, let's keep that part a secret.

I did email skysystems, but was afraid they'd be closed for the holidays. They were nice enough to reply today, but addressed more general size questions, and skipped over mouth/chin/nose fit.

If anyone has something to add, I'm still listening. And later, I may say something about my own experience with it. (for anyone who needs the info, and finds this via search)