pirana

Neck Surgery Anyone?

I posted with more details under General Skydiving, subject is Neck Surgery. But I'm posting here to maybe get more exposure.

Looking for skydivers that have had neck surgery, what for, and how were the results.

Any ortho surgeon's, or even MD's out there who skydive?

Again, see General Skydiving, Neck Surgery for details. Many thanks.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Thanks much. Good to know others have been there and returned for more. Interesting that almost all the responses in both threads and the search I did (maybe all) related to the C4 thru C7 area. My fracture was C6, the bulging discs are C5/6 and C6/7, and spinal cord deformity and nerve root impingement at C6. Better there than higher up, maybe by design? I was going to wait until winter, but given the length of recovery, better do it now so I can be sure to be in the air next spring (Wisconsin jumper - the season is basically mid April til the airstrip is too deep with snow to use).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Interesting that almost all the responses in both threads and the search I did (maybe all) related to the C4 thru C7 area. My fracture was C6, the bulging discs are C5/6 and C6/7, and spinal cord deformity and nerve root impingement at C6.

I had those same issues... I still have tingly pain in my right arm now and then, but I imagine it will go away in time, If not, it's not so terrible that I can't live with it.

PM me if you want to chat about it. :)

Yikes! Girl that looks scary!! :o How are you feeling now??

They removed my disk, replaced it with bone, and let it fuse together itself. I have no metal in my neck and I like that. :)

I feel great and I'm a half inch taller. I'm going to have all of them removed and replaced with titanium! I'll eventually be 6 feet tall!

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I herniated the cervical discs between C6 and C7 two years ago working out. Not sure how it happened but it resulted in the nerve roots to my left arm being pinched off causing serious nerve pain, numbness and loss of tricep strength in that arm.

I did medical malpractice defense litigation work at the time and was treated by one of my clients, a neurosurgeon, with a history of conservative treatment. He scheduled me for surgery on the very first visit - so I guess I was pretty bad off. He told me the longer I left it - the less likely I would be to get the strength back etc...

Had a distectomy performed using posterior approach (from the back of the neck) because I didn't want to lose any more range of motion than I absolutely had to. Dr. gave me the option to have the anterior approach done with a fusion, but I was borderline and chose the posterior. He couldn't provide me with any evidence that the anterior method would provide me with any better result or protection 10 yrs down the road. But did tell me I had a better chance of retaining range of motion doing it my way.

100% recovery. No pain, all strength back and only occasional stiffness and pain. One hard opening did leave me stiff and sore for a couple of weeks, but other than that I hardly think about it.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."