graymadder

jumping after breaking fibula

Billvon is right, we can't give you medical advice but we can give you experiences. I have rods and screws in both lower legs from two separate incidents. Remember that when you do decide to jump, make sure you are not still favoring your good leg, you will tend to favor it even more on landing and put more stress on it and possibly injure that one on what should have been a normal landing.

yeah, good to know... i was already thinking about favoring the good one. something to think about... thanks!

anyone out there had a similar break? doc's said i had a spiral fracture to the right fibula and they used a titanium plate and screws to put it back together...
i went in a few weeks ago to get the staples out, they put a fresh cast on and said it should stay on four weeks.

what's next? can i start walking on it after they take the cast off? and more important: how soon can I jump? ***

When I had a similar break after ground launching three years ago, my orthopedic surgeon basically said that when I can hop up and down on my injured leg I should be good to go. I waited until I could do that before I jumped again and I think it was a good decision. At around 30 jumps that will be more difficult for you, but it's worth it. I know it's tough to wait around to get back to the sky but the sky will wait for you.

I think I was lucky to find a doctor who was damn good at what he does, but I did my part in heeding his advice and it paid off. Although I felt like I could, I was warned not to attempt to walk until I got one screw that held my tib and fib together removed and so I didn't. I waited eleven weeks from the day I was injured. The day after I got it taken out I walked on it into work at my job as an ironworker. It hurt like hell after a few hours and swelled a lot but it still felt good to be rid of those crutches. It's a physical job, so I didn't bother with therapy and I really didn't need to. Three weeks later I could run up a flight of stairs. YMMV I think is how they put it.

One suggestion I have for you is to eat right while your healing. For me that meant yogurt in a blender with any fruit I had once a day and lots of greens with dinner. My doctor didn't think this was as important as I did but I need my legs for work and I figured it couldn't hurt.

Although I broke my fib pretty badly at 35 years old, tore ligaments in my ankle, and I still retain hardware, I can run about as fast as I could at 34 and my injury doesn't bother me a bit. At least for now anyway. And I realise that if I had broken my tib it might be a different story..

sounds promising... thank you.

Me too, spiral fracture of right fib, but away from the joint, so they didn't have to operate.

I had a long break from jumping, because once I could walk, the norwegian winter set in. Started jumping again in the spring.

I'd say you can jump again as soon as you can run.

My fib is fine now, but it hurts when people sit on it in the Twin Otter
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?