pfd32713

looking to buy first rig

I am about to get my A license and want to buy my own gear asap. im going to buy it eventually and everyday i wait im wasting alot of money. i went from 260 to 240 to 210 and tell u the truth had no difficulty and noticed no difference. i was thinking of buying a 190 main but think for longer term purposes i should purchase 170 for first. i am 6 foot 180lbs. i would appreciate any advice. thanks - Ryan

you know the biggest danger for thos who get their A lcense is overconfidence right?

you know that student rigs are cut for stability and safety, right?

go to a pro shop, rent some gear and find out what will work best for you in a performace chute before yougo and buy anything.

better to really know what you need than having to sell your chute because you crashed out too many times and realized it was more than you can handle

The 170 is on the dangerous side for your first canopy at your weight, your wingloading would be close to 1.2, I would strongly suggest you do not buy a 170 for your first canopy at your jump numbers.

What type of 210 are you flying at the moment? If your instructors think you are ready for a 190, that will be loaded slightly over 1.0 and would be a great sized canopy to buy and play around for your first 100 - 200 jumps. Talk to your instructors, I haven't seen you fly, but I have a few friends in your weight range that started on a 190 and haven't felt the need to downsize till nearly the 200 jump mark.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with jumping a 210 at your weight ;) You can always sell the canopy in 50 jumps.

thanks for your advice . i have had standup landing mostly on target for every single jump besides the one i had to do a plf on purpose for license . im not overconfident but landings have not been challenging since my first solo. i have no problem with landing softly but just dont want to buy something im gonna want to get rid of after another 25 jumps. - Ryan

Ok lil noob advice here but I was showed a really cool trick by a rigger the last week. With new gromets your container can be downsized to fit many diffrent sizes. Just replace gromets, closing loops and your good to go.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

Try this bedtime reading:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

I know that you don't want to have to buy a bigger canopy and then sell it soon... but let me ask this:

What would 6-12 weeks of disability after a single bad landing cost you?

I cannot tell you how many times I have been glad that I have a big "wussy" canopy when things get wierd.

As others have said.... have a long chat with instructors who know YOU. If they are smart, they will not only base thier reccomendation on your skills, but on a knowledge of your personality (risk taking vs. risk adverse.

Suggest that you read Brian Germain's The Parachute and Its Pilot". All that is in that book is worth your time and and he has very clear reccomendations for canopy sizing. http://www.bigairsportz.com/publishing.php

Don't forget that the SIM has guidance on canopy sizing too:

SIM 5-3,B,5
5. The following are suggested maximum wing loadings
based on experience level:
a. A and B license 1.0 psf maximum

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section5/tabid/168/Default.aspx#53b

SIM 6-10,B,3: Advanced equipment generally refers to canopies loaded as follows:

a. above 230 square feet, 1.1 pounds per square foot or higher

b. from 190 to 229 square feet, 1.0 pounds per square foot or higher

c. from 150 to 189 square feet, .9 pounds per square foot or higher

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#610b

And finally... here is a USPA video with some hot-shot canopy pilots discussing this issue:

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Other_Fly_To_Survive.wmv

Have fun, Stay safe.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

And you have jumped in perfect weather with perfect spots onto perfect landing zones, with little or no traffic. You haven't landed shit yet. It doesn't matter if you've stood up every time. Or how good your accuracy has been. You might very well get away with a 170 something. But I've seen lots of folks NOT get away with it.

And, with a couple of thousand jumps, I'm still ready to PLF every landing if I need to. PLF is a survival skill, not a box to check.

Nobody here as yet said, 'yeah, great go for it, a 170 is perfect'. FOR A REASON!

You MAY have hundreds and thousands of jumps ahead. If your stupid about it you may not. A 170 will fit in the same container as a 190 for the most part. Buy used, learn what your doing, and pass it on to the next newbie.

You asked for the advice. Don't dismiss it out of hand.

Okay, rant over, you happened to be in the sights tonight.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

And you have jumped in perfect weather with perfect spots onto perfect landing zones, with little or no traffic. You haven't landed shit yet. It doesn't matter if you've stood up every time. Or how good your accuracy has been. You might very well get away with a 170 something. But I've seen lots of folks NOT get away with it.

And, with a couple of thousand jumps, I'm still ready to PLF every landing if I need to. PLF is a survival skill, not a box to check.

Nobody here as yet said, 'yeah, great go for it, a 170 is perfect'. FOR A REASON!

You MAY have hundreds and thousands of jumps ahead. If your stupid about it you may not. A 170 will fit in the same container as a 190 for the most part. Buy used, learn what your doing, and pass it on to the next newbie.

That's some of the best advice youll find.

I found a rig that was made for the 190 canopy I wanted, but would hold the 210 I owned just a little tight.

I started the same way...with great stand up landings on target all the time. But i've learned that canopy piloting can become a humbling experience to anyone at any time.

I put 5 jumps on my new 188 last weekend, and then the 6th jump it collapsed 25 feet up on final. Luckily I walked away just fine, but not everyone does. Remember that no matter the canopy, it can take control at any time.

Take the time to downsize gradually and become completely proficient with the one you have. I felt comfortable with landings on jump 24 too, but there's a huge difference between then and now, and I have leaps and bounds to go.

I really believe I would have handled it much worse back then. It's not worth your skydiving career and/or life. Listen to the people who "have been there and done that." Somehow they seem to know everything and usually end up right! :P:D
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52