peterjd

Nervous about arch, AFF cat C jump 3

my arch was ok on my cat A jump but when i jumped cat B i was loose and shaky. ive only been able to afford to go every 3-4 weeks so i have a lot of time in between to forget the routine =/ im jumping 2 cat c jumps next weekend and im nervous i wont complete them because of bad form. what can i do to prepare and make sure my arch is fine and i pass to D?

First, think positive. Imagine the perfect skydive, and that's how it will happen. If you focus so hard on what NOT to do, you have set yourself up for failure.

Second, practice your arch at home on the floor or in a swimming pool, get those hips forward, your legs out, clench your butt cheeks like there's a $100 bill between them, that helps a lot.

Third, RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Relaxing will help you 'balance' on that column of air better, if you are stiff and fighting the air, you potato chip a lot more. Relaxing is important.

Fourth, jump more often than once a month, currency keeps you safe, but also keeps you much more relaxed and sure of yourself.

Fifth, trust yourself. You CAN do this... if you couldn't, your instructors wouldn't let you in the plane.... they believe in you, so believe in yourself.

Finally, remember, this is freaking fun! Smile big and enjoy the jumps!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

my arch was ok on my cat A jump but when i jumped cat B i was loose and shaky. ive only been able to afford to go every 3-4 weeks so i have a lot of time in between to forget the routine =/ im jumping 2 cat c jumps next weekend and im nervous i wont complete them because of bad form. what can i do to prepare and make sure my arch is fine and i pass to D?

Above post is very good. Let me share an anecdote from my experiences.... cat C was very shakey for me, choppy and started to spin when I was released. Went to the windtunnel in between C and D and couldn't get control in there. Then, on the actual D jump, everything worked flawlessly (did several mental walk-throughs and convinced myself not to make any radical movements when falling - don't fight it!)

Its all been gravy since then... you'll be fine.

First, think positive. Imagine the perfect skydive, and that's how it will happen. If you focus so hard on what NOT to do, you have set yourself up for failure.

Second, practice your arch at home on the floor or in a swimming pool, get those hips forward, your legs out, clench your butt cheeks like there's a $100 bill between them, that helps a lot.

Third, RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Relaxing will help you 'balance' on that column of air better, if you are stiff and fighting the air, you potato chip a lot more. Relaxing is important.

Fourth, jump more often than once a month, currency keeps you safe, but also keeps you much more relaxed and sure of yourself.

Fifth, trust yourself. You CAN do this... if you couldn't, your instructors wouldn't let you in the plane.... they believe in you, so believe in yourself.

Finally, remember, this is freaking fun! Smile big and enjoy the jumps!

I totally love this response!!!! Very good point in mentioning that if your instructors didn't think you could do it, for the sake of safety (theirs, other skydivers, and your own) they would not let you jump.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I know there is alot going through your mind before an AFF jump. I tried to concentrate on as soon as i let go of the plane to push my hips as far forward as possible. Relax is the big key. If you relax the wind will push your body into an arch naturally. If you are all tense you may be unstable.