UliToo

And MORE questions.....

My DZ has closed for the season, and I still have all these questions I had hoped to have answered by an instructor there. Since I now have all winter, I'm gonna learn all I can, and I guess you guys will have to do.:P

Apparently there is a different type of pilot chute used during a tandem - the pilot chute is on a separate pull cord than the main, whereas jumping by yourself, your pilot chute pulls the main chute out. Why the difference? Is it just so the free fall lasts longer?

Will I learn how to pack the chute during AFF training?

And one more: What's with the categories during AFF? Is Cat A the first jump, B the second, etc?

My suggestion for you would be to first go to the USPA website, find the Skydivers Information Manual and print yourself a copy. This is the guide that instructors and skydivers alike use for training, licensing and referral. This manual is not going to answer all of your questions. Learning this manual, front to back, will NOT make you a skydiver, but it will give you an introduction to the safety and training requirements for new students.

Blue Skies,
HellFreak
Two words that get you in trouble, ALWAYS and NEVER

Since I now have all winter, I'm gonna learn all I can, and I guess you guys will have to do.

These forums are great for getting to know people but are not really the best place to get information at this point in your progression. A better plan would be to download and read the SIM as the previous poster suggested. There are also many articles on this website that will answer your questions (check out the "safety" section). Also pick up a copy of "Parachuting The Skydivers Handbook" and/or "Jump!" (both are available through Amazon and at many skydiving equipment retailers).

Apparently there is a different type of pilot chute used during a tandem - the pilot chute is on a separate pull cord than the main, whereas jumping by yourself, your pilot chute pulls the main chute out. Why the difference? Is it just so the free fall lasts longer?

Tandems use a drogue, not a pilot chute (although the drogue does act as a pilot chute once the drogue release is pulled). The drogue reduces the fallrate of the tandem pair to approximately the speed that one body falls at, which makes it easier for the video guy to fall with the pair and reduces the potential for equipment damage when the canopy is deployed.

Will I learn how to pack the chute during AFF training?

Depends on the dz. Some teach it during your student jumps, others wait until after you have done your supervised jumps. You will learn to pack prior to getting your A license regardless.

What's with the categories during AFF? Is Cat A the first jump, B the second, etc?

The SIM will answer this question better, but you are basically correct.

Thanks! Got 'Skydiver's handbook' on the way. Amazon only has previous years of the SIM available. Is it necessary to get the updated one? (printer doesn't work).

At least I'll have some reading material for the long winter.;)

Thanks for explaining!

Thanks! Got 'Skydiver's handbook' on the way. Amazon only has previous years of the SIM available. Is it necessary to get the updated one? (printer doesn't work).

At least I'll have some reading material for the long winter.;)

Thanks for explaining!

Skybytch has it right.
BUY a hard copy latest-version SIM. You can take it with you everywhere and read it at your leisure. As a newbie, I put mine in the bathroom...kind a captive audience type of thing, you know?
:D:D

Buy it from USPA...not Amazon. Kind of late telling you this since you've apparently already bought one (hopefully from USPA).
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239