gravitysucks

Should I let my Freak Flag fly?

So I've been growing my hair out, and on Friday my wife dared me to cut it into a mohawk. Being the suggestible type, I drove to the nearest hair place and did it. Now I'm ready to arrive at the Couchfreaks boogie in style! 1 small hitch though: I'm a grad student at a medical school. One of the faculty approached me today and told me my haircut was "not clinically acceptable." Plus, we have a mandatory ceremony on Wednesday night where we present the freshmen with their white coats. I can take the faculty criticism because I planned on shaving it after the boogie, but what do I do about the ceremony? Vote!!

ETA: BONUS!! No matter what, I plan on doing some crazy facial hair... Perhaps the mustache that was deemed "illegal" and "not in the best interests of personal hygeine" by the Cass County Sherriff's Office.

Okay, I'm going to vote in your poll, which means you have to vote in mine.

I think you should keep it, but disguise it anyway you can, I think a wig would be freakin hysterical and then dye it for Couchfreaks and then shave it off afterward. Too bad you didn't wait until after the ceremony.

I drove to the nearest hair place and did it.

Wait one minute, your telling me that you actually PAID for that haircut. Do you know how many people at the DZ would have lined up to cut your hair.

I don't know what to do about your ceremony but you definitely need to keep the hawk for freaks.

We'll see you there.
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

screw them. It is not like that hair poses a health or saftey issue. I say get a stupid wig to "comply" with their "rules"

BTW: you have an uncanny resemblance to some guy that works for my company. Hopefully you are not as annoying as that dude is. He is not able to STFU.

JAMES

Well Joel...being that the wig is winning the votes...here's a link to a suggestion:
http://www.mulletwigs.net/...product_id=ClassOf87

I have GOT to get my hands on that Nebraska Neckwarmer mullet wig!! That would be even better if I could find some of those fake teeth.

May the Schwartz be with you all as you travel the trail to Ft. Dodge......

"not clinically acceptable" I'd tell this uptight ass-hat to go pound salt. Would unruley nose hair be "clinically unacceptable" ? how about uni-brow or heaven forbid a PIMPLE. Some of the best professionals I know are the ones that spend less time looking the part and more time being good at it. Appearance is no subsitute for performance

I voted "sport it.. IN BLUE" because I feel you should wear your hair however you like.

I understand what that faculty member was saying... but one thing worth noting is that the whole "clean-cut employee means better work/service/ethics/whatever" mentality is a hang-up of our parents generation... passed on from their parents... But we've all but eradicated it by going through a period of oversensitivity to an invention of ours called "Political Correctness". PC made it a crime against humanity to disagree with just about anything. lol. This oversensitivity was all it took to swing that pendjulum back and get it where it is now... where we can almost dress the way we want or wear our hair hair the way we want...

Nice to see something like that happen in your own lifetime ain't it? So don't set it back by taking any sort of crap about your hair! :)
I have long hair and I work a desk job in an insurance company. When people ask me "And they let you keep your hair long?" like that, I always answer the same way. I say: "Let??!? What do you mean? Like... allow? My hair just grows on it's own... without any need for my employers permission." lol.

Soon, all the people who have issues with other's appearances will be in old folks homes anyway. Probably pissin' and moaning about how the guy feeding them their pills has an eyebrow ring.... or how the girl that changes their diapers has purple hair.... and how in their day... yadda yadda yadda... :D

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Nice to see something like that happen in your own lifetime ain't it? So don't set it back by taking any sort of crap about your hair! :)

damn, that really helps to put it in perspective. I was feeling dumb because I just did it as a joke, but f**k them if they don't get it and f them too for judging me based just on appearance. Alot of people before my time had to fight to overcome alot worse prejudice than this, so why should I back down? I found this from the court case Massie v. Henry, 1972, regarding a group of high school students who refused to cut their long hair:

"we prefer in this case to treat their right to wear their hair as they wish as an aspect of the right to be secure in one's person guaranteed by the due process clause"

So, since I'm at a state school, I have a constitutional right to wear my hair however I want! I'll post after the ceremnoy and let y'all know how it went.