waltappel

Injured raccoon

i can help you if you need it.. see my thread from back in june......

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1680138#1680138

I appreciate your generosity and totally understand where you are coming from! The idea here, though, is to impose *my* will on that evil little bastard, and my will is that he will get medical attention for his injury.

Nothing short of that will do.

A bullet?!!! Hah! The little fucker is not going to get off anywhere near that easily. He kept me up until about three in the morning last night, even though I had to get up at five this morning.

I'm gonna catch his ass tomorrow night, keep him in the trap overnight in my bathtub, and then, I will take my leisurely time in getting him to the veterinarian. He's gonna hate it. I, on the other hand, will love it.

While he hates life while recovering from his injury at the veterinarian's office, I will be loving life while sleeping peacefully during my normal sleep hours.

Death is the easy way out. This raccoon ain't gettin' off easy.

edited to add:
No doubt after I release him, he will spread the word that I am not to be fucked with. Not by him. Not by any raccoon. This is about street cred on Raccoon Avenue. I will be feared.

Walt

You be the Head-Coon Walt. All bow down. :ph34r::ph34r:

Goddamn right!!

Tonight's score: Walt: 1, Raccoons: 0

That's right. I caught the little bastard. He's in the trap and his new temporary residence is in my bathtub, where my cat can't get to him.

As of tonight, in the raccoon world I am a badass. I am not to be fucked with. Do you hear that, raccoons of the world? You cannot fuck with me and expect to get away with it! I am smarter than you. I have a superior mental attitude. I am your worst fucking nightmare because I will absolutely not stop until I get you. Fear me, raccoons. And don't ever even think about fucking with me.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to call the vet and make an emergency appointment to take him in. What's that raccoon? You don't want to go to the vet? Fuck you! You're going whenever I happen to take you there. Why? Because I now own your four-legged, furry ass you little son of a bitch! Not to worry, though, they will take good care of you, and when you are healed, I will release you where I found you.

When I do release you, I want you to spread the word. "Don't ever fuck with Walt". Got that you little fucker? Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Stay away from beer bottles. I know plenty of skydivers who are world-class experts at handling beer bottles, and guess what raccoon? You will never be in the same league as a skydiver when it comes to handling beer bottles, so leave that to the professionals.

I love the smell of caged raccoon in the morning. It smells like....victory!!!

Walt

p.s. To all raccoons who read dropzone.com: Read and heed, my little 4-legged, furry friends. I am your master.

I'd watch out for that little bastard Walt. Something about that look in his eye.............pure evil!!!!:ph34r:

That raccoon would gladly rip me to shreds given the opportunity--no question about it. I was hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight, but I think I will be awake most of the night because I need to check on him often. He might injure himself trying to get out of the cage, so I have to go in there regularly to distract him a little bit.

He does have some nice looking teeth. I don't want them ripping into me, though!

edited to add:
I did use your trick on placement of the food in the trap and it worked great! As a backup, I had a wire attached to one of the trip plate supports so I could trip it manually, if necessary. Thanks for the hot tip!

Walt

I did use your trick on placement of the food in the trap and it worked great! As a backup, I had a wire attached to one of the trip plate supports so I could trip it manually, if necessary. Thanks for the hot tip

Remind me to tell you how I became the "Relocator" of the local gray squirrel mafia, sometime. Man, those little basterds are smart but I showed them who was smarter. B|

uh... just for grins you might wanna take a wire coathanger and wire the doors down so he cant possible get out by futzing wiht the doors///

4 pieces of coat hanger.. on near the bottom of the cage and the fall down doors make thenm into a little u shape.. and slip them in the twist to hold the doors closed...

MIGHT just help you sleep soundly;)

Remind me to tell you how I became the "Relocator" of the local gray squirrel mafia, sometime. Man, those little basterds are smart but I showed them who was smarter. B|

Please post that story when you get time! I've got a gray squirrel mafia here. I love 'em, but they are some mean little bastards!

Walt

I don't want to gross anyone out, but here is the closest pic I've been able to get of his injured front leg. I'll also post a pic of his healthy front leg.

The pictures show why I've been unable to sleep thinking about and trying to catch this raccoon.

Walt

Scoonies don't growl. They do make a trilling, gargling sound that, after all these years, I can no longer imitate, but I suppose to some ears it might sound like growling. It is the equivalent of a cat's purr. It is also the sound they make when they're begging.

RhondaLea,

I wouldn't call it growling, but my injured raccoon does a lot of what I would call snorting and snarling. Here is a clip. I'd bet that it is what AcmeSkydiver is calling growling. It is the sound of a very pissed off raccoon in my bathroom.

Again, this is not an imitation. This is an edited (for length) soundtrack from video of the raccoon, who would gleefully rip out my eyeballs with his teeth if he could get at me.

Walt

Scoonies don't growl. They do make a trilling, gargling sound that, after all these years, I can no longer imitate, but I suppose to some ears it might sound like growling. It is the equivalent of a cat's purr. It is also the sound they make when they're begging.

RhondaLea,

I wouldn't call it growling, but my injured raccoon does a lot of what I would call snorting and snarling. Here is a clip. I'd bet that it is what AcmeSkydiver is calling growling. It is the sound of a very pissed off raccoon in my bathroom.

Again, this is not an imitation. This is an edited (for length) soundtrack from video of the raccoon, who would gleefully rip out my eyeballs with his teeth if he could get at me.

Walt

Poor scared scoonie.

The one sound that struck me is the one that underlies the sound they make all the time--without the trill. The young ones would sound slighly similar when I'd take something away from them--pulling all the while.

Stay away from teeth and feet, Walt.

Edited to add: I looked at the pictures. Gah! He's climbing by using one leg normally and using the other to hug the the tree. He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

rl

You're scaring me. I really don't want the vet to tell me that the best thing to do is put him down because he wouldn't have lasted much longer. I want to be able to release him.

I've been up all night with him. The vet's office should be open in a few hours. I hope to get him in there as early as possible.

Thanks again for everything.

Walt

He wouldn't have lasted much longer.

rl

You're scaring me. I really don't want the vet to tell me that the best thing to do is put him down because he wouldn't have lasted much longer. I want to be able to release him.

I've been up all night with him. The vet's office should be open in a few hours. I hope to get him in there as early as possible.

Thanks again for everything.

Walt

Whatever the outcome--and I hope it's a complete recovery--you've done the scoonie a service. I do hope you have the opportunity to hear him trill--it's a sound like no other.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Whatever the outcome--and I hope it's a complete recovery--you've done the scoonie a service. I do hope you have the opportunity to hear him trill--it's a sound like no other.

rl

Thanks for that. It's 5:40am now and the clinic opens at 7:00am. They told me to call for an appointment after I caught him, but I'm just going to show up when they open.

I noticed on their website (clicky) that they have a wildlife rehab person on staff. I'm really hoping they can take care of this guy.

It will be really cool if they can fix him up and I can eventually hear him trill. I've never heard that sound.

And I'm REALLY looking forward to getting some sleep.

Walt

I stand corrected. I should have been calling the raccoon "that little bitch" instead of "that little bastard". Yes, the raccoon is a bitchy female.

I just got back from the veterinarian. He removed the glass and said the raccoon will probably be ok if kept in a rehab shelter for 2 weeks.

I'm attaching some pics and will post more later.

Walt