BGill

Computer geeks help!

Ok so here's my problem. Something apparently fucked with a file in my registry or something and I can't view my profile on my computer, meaning I don't have access to all my files and stuff.

When I type in my password on the Windows XP login screen (I know, don't use XP, blah blah blah), I get an error message that says something along the lines of

"Your locally stored profile cannot be viewed becuase of insufficient security rights or a corrupt local file.

DETAIL - An I/O Operation initiated by the registry cannot be completed... (then the 30 seconds ran up and I couldn't finish writing everything down)"

Then another message comes up saying a temporary profile will be shown because the local profile cannot be found. So I ran a system restore to a time earlier that day when I know for sure my system was running fine. Now it stills says pretty much the same thing, except now the message goes something like

"The system attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the file is not in registry format."

So basically what I'm asking is... WTF??? Any ideas how I can fix this and get my Windows profile back without having to reformat my hard drive?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Yeah I am the administrator, so the temporary profile it logs me in as is still considered me, but none of the files or anything are there. I would like to get all my settings and files and whatnot back to before I started using this temporary profile.

Yeah I am the administrator, so the temporary profile it logs me in as is still considered me, but none of the files or anything are there. I would like to get all my settings and files and whatnot back to before I started using this temporary profile.

I'd probably just rebuild the profile. If you haven't done that, it's actually pretty easy. Basically just a matter of copying and pasting files in the Documents and Settings directory. (Be sure to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and directories). PM me if you go this route and need some help.

Walt