GARYC24

Job Applications method

Anyone else notice that alot of places only accept applications thru apply online method?
Seems resume and/or paper applications are not being taken or handed out.
Seems as if you don't have computer access one cannot apply (w/exception to online machines insides place of employment(s).
To me something is not right about this.
To me they should have accept resume, and still hand out application (paper) form, including on-line.
Is this too old fashion or what?
I've been looking for a new P/T Job..all these places are apply online only:
Vons, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Ralphs, Longs Drug store, etc..
They don't even have applications forms anymore!
Your thoughts? experience?

Well, I am a recruiter for a large company and I only accept online applications since my company finds it to be the most cost/time effective way of doing things. We eliminate the paper costs and printing as well as the admin data entry person that would take hours plugging your information into our system. It's more convenient for us. If you don't have online access, online access is readily available at all or most public libraries and kinkos. It just gets you closer to getting hired faster if you are submitting an online application. I am an advocate of online applications.

Blue Skies

I just completed an online application for part time work at Home Depot. This would be my first job since my injury in Aug. '03. I'm kind of testing the waters with a part time job. The one thing that bothered me about the online app. was the fact that I had to list 'injury' in my reason for leaving last job, but had no place to explain in detail the circumstances.

Many public libraries now have internet access for their patrons, as an option for those who don't have access to a computer at home. No, it's not an ideal solution, but it's one option.

If you do submit a paper application or paper resume, chances are it will be scanned into a database anyway, so many folks who review resumes recommend very simple formats so that it'll scan "clean". The ability to easily search resumes for keywords and skills is a boon to employers and recruiters, but it can also help job seekers as well, as your resume will be in a searchable database and you may be more readily considered for a position other than the one you initially applied for.

On the whole, I think it's a good thing for both applicants and employers, but it makes it very critical for applicants to use the right keywords and terminology in their resume to ensure they come up in search results.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That all makes sense to me.
And I go to library alot lately.
I'm just wondering that if this becomes the only way to apply for a job (min. wage or not) then I guess everybody better get a computer or a library card!
Hey, maybe unemployment office can have internet sections for people to apply for jobs, that way if people can fill out the section "did you look for a job this week? One can say, heck ya, I emailed the application.
Then un-employment office can check to see if they did or not via email..

The above is not a complaint,.just foreseeing the future in worldwide, even household computer needs.