Hunt_Joshua_G

Studant gear

It's too early to start looking for gear at 1 jump. You won't be able to jump any gear you buy until you're off the staticline or have finished your AFF. After that you usually use student gear to downsize a bit. At 25-50 jumps (or more, if they have good non-student rental canopies available) most people start looking for gear, by that time you'll have a somewhat clear idea of what you need and want in models and sizing and your instructors will help you choose suitable gear.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Another thing to think of, is which discipline you might want to follow..
Maybe freeflying once you've got your A license? Then you will need a freefly friendly rig.
Speaking from experience (ive just recently bought my first rig, a 170, where on jump 1, i was jumping a 285), wait until you get your A license, downsized to something that you will be able to jump for a while, and try out rigs before buying.

Dont think about rigs now at 1 jump, not even at 10. Wait.. it'll work out for you in the end!

Best of luck and enjoy the rest!

I bought my own gear at 45 jumps. Got a sabre2-170. People online felt it was way too aggressive for someone with my jump numbers but I put a lot of work in learning about it, got good coaching and did a canopy control course. The local instructors felt I would be OK and gave a good briefing. Now I've put about 45 jumps on the gear and I absolutely love it - will probably put 450 more jumps on this setup.

You are not me and everyone is different. Local instructors can help you best because they've seen you learn and fly and they should be able to give a good idea of what you're ready for.

Many DZ's have a variety of rental gear. At my really small DZ we have 280's and a sabre1 210. So let your instructors guide you through some different equipment.

-Michael

It is not easy to find a right setup while you are so new to the sport. It is always great to be able to demo gear before you make your own decision. When I lived in Canada I did not have an opportunity to demo gear, but there are several DZs in the states which have quite large gear stores with several multi manufacturers demos. Maybe by the time winter rolls around, and you are aching to jump then, you will have a chance to come down south to one of winter boogies at Perris, Eloy or Z-hills. All those places have demo gear that you can try. Also look for demo tour schedules, Aerodyne and PD have their demo teams visit places and you can find their destinations on their websites. Also Art from SkydiveStore.com have been visiting dzs with demo gear.
http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/calendar.asp
http://performancedesigns.com/pdzone/tour.asp#usa
http://www.theskydivestore.com/roadtrip.htm
Good luck!
Leszek Stachyra
Aerodyne US Tour
(860)933-7666
[email protected]