RALFFERS

Flat-Packing (Revisited)

Finally - I got a hold of a VCR and was able to watch the packing video someone was generous enough to lend me. Flat-packing (my method of choice) seems simple enough and I am confident I could become proficient with it in time. However, I need suggestions in 1 aspect of it (it is a necessity regardless of the method) - walking the lines... Anyone got ideas? :S Not only do I want to not be dependent on a packer, but more than that - I have a genuine desire to know gear.

I know there are others (even on these forums) that pack and can't walk their lines because of likewise having physical limitations; therefore I know it can be done.

I need to watch that tape a few more times; also, hopefully I can get some practice in as well.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

If you are flat packing you do not need to walk the lines. Take the canopy and flake it using the packing tabs. If it has none a rigger can sew them on. Best to use an old rigger who remembers where they need to be located. If your lines are straight you should be able to do your line check from the harness end: select the outside line from the front and rear riser on the side that is on the top of the laid out canopy. Trace them through the slider, which should be just above the risers. Lift those two lines up until they lift the stabilizer on the appropriate end cell. Do the same with your steering lines. Return to the canopy end and proceed to pack.

Do I recognize your picture from Skydive Chicagoland?

I'm going to be back there in the middle of August. I've got some experience flat packing. I could probably show you better than explaining, if you don't mind waiting. Keep in mind I am in no way a rigger, packer, or coach. I just recently got a new canopy and changed my packing methods. Over 150 pack jobs flat packing.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your limitations?

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

Yep, my avitar is from CSC...

I don't mind waiting at all - it'll give me more time to watch the video a few times over and have everything down - at least in theory. Thanks for the offer too!

As for my "limitations" (I guess) - I walk with crutches; rendering it impossible for me to pro-pack because of having to walk the lines, flake the canopy while over the shoulder while standing, etc, etc...

PM me when you know when you'll be coming.

Dude go to CSC and talk with Bob G he flatpacks his rig, and I believe he jumps out of Hinkley. I met him last summer at summerfest at SDC. He is a tall guy has a distinctive voice, and is really cool and enjoys sharing knowledge and experiance with low timers.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I think I know Bob (if we're talking about the same one) wears glasses, kinda bald, balding; looks to be in his 50's, and used to be a cop or in the marines, right?...

I met him a few times - very cool, laid back guy. B|

I think he jumps at SDC regularly, but I have seen him at CSC a time or 2.

By walking the lines I guess you mean the lines check. Here is what to do:

1) With the slider down by the risers lay your canopy say on its left side (right side is on the top) using the tabs or top of the cells (high points corresponding to the no bearing ribs) and put all the 7-9 cells together. You can do it with the canopy laying on its right side while the left side is on the top. The canopy lays on the floor showing its profile and airfoil shape seen fromsideway.

2) By applying the proper tension from the top of the canopy (attach first the container) all the lines are more or less together (group of: A lines, B lines, C lines and D lines respectively together).

3) From the right front riser grap the right front line set, they should be on the top of the left set of lines since the canopy has the right side on the top

4) From the right rear riser grap the right rear line set, they should be on the top too. Paid attention particularly to the right steering line which should be too on the top of the left one. You should be able to follow visually these set of lines including the right steering line thru the slider grommets, The right steering line should be well separated from the right rear line set and above the set all the way from riser to canopy.

5) Just for double check, figure out that you fly that canopy. Grab the 2 right side grommets of the slider and lift them up a bit to make appear how will be the slider after opening (you look to the right bending your head at 90 degrees). At that moment you can see the 2 right set of lines (front and rear) on the top of the left set of lines (front and rear). If it's the case, the canopy is ready to be packed. Have a person used to do the side pack to supervise you a couple of times.

Note: Side packing a canopy is a good way to keep monitoring that the lines stay together in the center of the pack by constantly applying tension from the top of the canopy abeam of where the line sets are connected to the canopy when "S" folding it. Pro packing generally has the lines getting spread when doing the "sausage".
Not easy to explain by text, I try my best.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Uh, I don't think it would be advisable to lift the lines to check until the packer is proficient. Walking the lines is a way to develop understanding of what is being looked for.

I've flat packed literally thousands of Mantas and yes, I can lift the lines but I would never recommend that the someone learning.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Uh, I don't think it would be advisable to lift the lines to check until the packer is proficient. Walking the lines is a way to develop understanding of what is being looked for.

I've flat packed literally thousands of Mantas and yes, I can lift the lines but I would never recommend that the someone learning.

I teach them to walk the lines. However the OP has physical problems walking the lines. If you and I are smart enough to do it, probably he is too.