JustaBill

In the event of a tie in MLB....

If the Yankees and Red Sox end the season in a tie do they have a 1 game playoff or do they look at the records against each other? I can't remember.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

If the Yankees and Red Sox end the season in a tie do they have a 1 game playoff or do they look at the records against each other? I can't remember.

They will have a 1 game playoff if there is a tie. I think they flip a coin to see who hosts the playoff game, not sure on that, but definitely a playoff.

Go Red Sox! Yankees be damned! Let Steinbrenner have a coronary losing to the Sox for the 2nd straight year! :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My ex is a huge Yankees fan , I still think thats why we broke up.

Funny, I'm a Braves fan, but my wife is a Yankees fan. She hates the Braves... I'm pulling hard for Boston to knock the Yankees out of the playoffs! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If the Sox/Yankees tie there'll be a 1 game playoff in NY on monday - the site of the game was determined by a coin flip about a month ago :S

If the Sox/Yankees/Indians tie there'll be the one game playoff for the AL East on monday to determine the winner of the division followed by a 1 game playoff on tuesday between the loser of the AL East and the Indians to determine the winner of the wild card. If it's Sox/Indians it'll be played in Boston (again determined by a coinflip a few weeks ago :S), not sure where the NY/CLE game would be played.

Big Papi for MVP!

If the Sox/Yankees tie there'll be a 1 game playoff in NY on monday - the site of the game was determined by a coin flip about a month ago :S

A month ago?? Are they nuts? I think that division has been tight enough that any of the top 3 or 4 teams could have been duking it out in the last week. What if neither the Sox nor Yankees made it? Well sure, flip the coin again, the fans will come and fill the stadium even with a last minute decision...

Funny, I'm a Braves fan, but my wife is a Yankees fan. She hates the Braves... I'm pulling hard for Boston to knock the Yankees out of the playoffs!

lol.....sounds like a very supportive relationship.;)

For the record, I too hate the Yankees. When I was growing up my father taught me to never lie, steal, cheat, and under no circumstances, ever, even if it's life and death, root for any team from New York, especially the Yankees.

When the Yankees and the Mets played in the World Series I believed the best possible outcome was that the team buses wrecked into each other in the parking lot causing enough injuries (didn't wish death on anybody) to cancel the Series. Otherwise, I figured one of them would win.[:/]

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

When the Yankees and the Mets played in the World Series I believed the best possible outcome was that the team buses wrecked into each other in the parking lot causing enough injuries (didn't wish death on anybody) to cancel the Series. Otherwise, I figured one of them would win.[:/]

Blues,
Nathan

Too bad NY doesn't have earthquakes! :P Remember the Bay series between the Giants and A's? Does anyone remember how long the series was delayed due to the Loma Prieta quake?

A month ago?? Are they nuts? I think that division has been tight enough that any of the top 3 or 4 teams could have been duking it out in the last week. What if neither the Sox nor Yankees made it? Well sure, flip the coin again, the fans will come and fill the stadium even with a last minute decision...

I think it's crazy the home field advantage of a do or die, one game playoff is determined by a coinflip! How about comparing head to head record, common opponents record, division record - anything determined on the field is better than mere chance.

And when they did the coinflip the Sox were up 5 1/2 games or so on the yankees and the Blue Jays and Orioles had pretty much fallen by the wayside by then (over 10 games out). The AL East has been a 2 team division for a while now.

www.fenway.net - Rub My Mirabelli!

I really liked the Philadelphia Athletics, till they moved to Oakland![:/]

Chuck

Man, you're OLD! :D:D

Yes, I am! Lucky, I think, is a better choice of words but, anyhow. I remember, the Philadelphia A's, had a first-baseman named Vic Powers. The guy was good! I remember when the 'REAL' Dodgers were in Brooklyn! The Washington Senators before they were the Texas Rangers and honest to god, man. I remember the Milwaukee Braves, before they moved to Atlanta! Yeah, I'm old but, what memories!:D Oh yeah, and the Ramsbefore they moved to L.A. then back to St. Louis!:D

Chuck

Yes, I am! Lucky, I think, is a better choice of words but, anyhow. I remember, the Philadelphia A's, had a first-baseman named Vic Powers. The guy was good! I remember when the 'REAL' Dodgers were in Brooklyn! The Washington Senators before they were the Texas Rangers and honest to god, man. I remember the Milwaukee Braves, before they moved to Atlanta! Yeah, I'm old but, what memories!:D Oh yeah, and the Ramsbefore they moved to L.A. then back to St. Louis!:D

Chuck

I'm only old enough to remember the starting line-up for the Braves in the early 80's when they made the playoffs a couple years:

1st base: Chris Chambliss
2nd base: Glen Hubbard
3rd base: Bob Horner
Shortstop: Rafael Ramirez
Catcher: Bruce Benedict
Left Field: Claudell Washington (or was he Right Field?)
Center Field: Dale Murphy
Right Field: (see Claudell, I just don't remember the other regular starter)
Pitcher: Phil Niekro and Pascual Perez are the only ones I remember off-hand.

I didn't really follow baseball any earlier than that, there were no TV captioning then! :P

Chuck

I'm only old enough to remember the starting line-up for the Braves in the early 80's when they made the playoffs a couple years:

1st base: Chris Chambliss
2nd base: Glen Hubbard
3rd base: Bob Horner
Shortstop: Rafael Ramirez
Catcher: Bruce Benedict
Left Field: Claudell Washington (or was he Right Field?)
Center Field: Dale Murphy
Right Field: (see Claudell, I just don't remember the other regular starter)
Pitcher: Phil Niekro and Pascual Perez are the only ones I remember off-hand.

I didn't really follow baseball any earlier than that, there were no TV captioning then! :P

That, was a helluva line-up! Phil Niekro was fun to watch. So was Murphy. Ozzie Smith, of the Cards, was another. There were some 'tough' players who didn't let pain get in their way like Kirk Gibson of the Tigers & Dodgers. I've just always, loved baseball. Used to love to listen to Harry Carey announce the Cubs.

Chuck

That division has been a Yankees/Sox division for a while now. The third team in the division is the Blue Jays who are currently 16 games back from the Yankees. # 4 (Baltimore) is back 23.

When the coin toss took place Oakland was in as well.

And if Yankees and Cleveland play a tie-breaker it would be played in Cleveland.

And I'm going to go against the majority of this thread and say that I am a proud Yankees fan.

I am a huge Astros fan!! (live in Houston doh!) I have hated the Yankees as far back as I can remember. So them having a chance of not even making the playoffs brings joy to my heart.

The one thing I find extremely humours about this whole MLB situations is. Astros have a $55mil payroll and have pretty much gotten the Wildcard bid in the NL. The Yankees have a $250mil payroll and could be knocked out of the playoffs all together.

$50m > $250m :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I am a huge Astros fan!! (live in Houston doh!) I have hated the Yankees as far back as I can remember. So them having a chance of not even making the playoffs brings joy to my heart.

The one thing I find extremely humours about this whole MLB situations is. Astros have a $55mil payroll and have pretty much gotten the Wildcard bid in the NL. The Yankees have a $250mil payroll and could be knocked out of the playoffs all together.

$50m > $250m :ph34r:

Woo hoo! Yeah for the Astros. Look at their record. The Yankees are 94-65 and have the second best record in the AL. The Astros are 87-72 and have the third best record in the NL. So the Yankees pay their players more money. But, they also win more games. And the Astros have "pretty much have gotten the wildcard bid." They could still be knocked out of the playoffs, they're only 2 games up. Probably not going to happen, but whatever. So the Yanks could possibly get knocked out of the playoffs or they could win their division. Which is more than you can say for the Astros, who are 10 games back from the lead in the NL Central.

I have just one thing to say to all people who hate the Yankees. You are Communists!!! and let me explain why.
Most times when I ask why they hate the yankees, I get answers like "because they pay their players so much" or because "they always win", occasionally both.
Well I am thinking that if you spend the most money, and you win games, giving you more fans so you can earn more money so you can buy better players so you can win more games...etc. you see the pattern.
To me that sounds like the shining star of capitalism. so if you hate the yankees, you are a communist.

Also the yankees not only represent what is great capitalism, but also what is great about america. You can find people all over the world who hate americans because we have the most money, and we always win (look at the olympics). they are anti-american, and if you too feel this way, you are anti american.

So in conclusion I say, root for the Yanks or leave the country.

I like Beans

I have just one thing to say to all people who hate the Yankees. You are Communists!!! and let me explain why.
Most times when I ask why they hate the yankees, I get answers like "because they pay their players so much" or because "they always win", occasionally both.
Well I am thinking that if you spend the most money, and you win games, giving you more fans so you can earn more money so you can buy better players so you can win more games...etc. you see the pattern.
To me that sounds like the shining star of capitalism. so if you hate the yankees, you are a communist.

Also the yankees not only represent what is great capitalism, but also what is great about america. You can find people all over the world who hate americans because we have the most money, and we always win (look at the olympics). they are anti-american, and if you too feel this way, you are anti american.

So in conclusion I say, root for the Yanks or leave the country.

I agree 100%! Go Yanks!