PurpleBadger

Lawyer Types...

Ok, it's my final year software engineering project, I've been pressed into creating a piece of software for the Simulation of Witness Testimony.

Does anyone have any suggestions of approaches to take? things that I really need to consider/ don't really need to consider? Any personal methods that you use when preparing for cases (timelines, etc)?

Any help will be greatly appriciated!!!

Hey Dave, how's it going?

Give me a call if you want a chat about this or put something in an e-mail/pm for me and I'll let you have my ideas.

There are significant rules about the proper format a witness statement should take. Take a look here - http://www.dca.gov.uk/civil/procrules_fin/contents/practice_directions/pd_part32.htm#IDA2Y2RD

These are the Civil Procedure Rules which govern all the procedural aspects of how civil claims are handled in UK courts (kinda what it says on the tin). The link should take you to Rule 32 - check out Rule 32.17 and onwards. This should give you the dry text as to what it needs to include and how it should be laid out.

If you like I'll write you out a simple statement demonstrating what a civil statement should end up like.

Are you thinking of doing this for the civil law or criminal? There could be some very significant differences, although there are a very similar set of rules out there for the format of criminal witness statements. Let me know if you need these.

I'm not sure what tack you're planning on taking with this. I remember chatting with you about it a while ago but that was at least a couple of vodka's back - you'll have to refresh my memory.

Let me know how in depth you want this program to go etc and I'll help you out with the legal side of things. If you let me know what you want it to be able to achieve (and I guess you might want my input on what's actually feasible) then I'll see if I can fill in the gaps for you.

There are plenty of programs out there already which help lawyers deal with the procedural side of things, such as generating letters etc at certain times and reminding the lawyer to do certain things in line within a time scale etc. It sounds like you're looking at going one step further... I need more info though before I'm able to give you anything more specific.